Can Harvard take a joke?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Can Harvard take a joke?
By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 02:59 am: Edit

My essay for stanford was awesome... I did it in like half an hour the night before the deadline (pretty much 11:10 - 11:40 PM, it was due at midnight online, haha)... I just let it flow. I don't wanna post it (for obvious reasons), but believe me, it was great. I basically went off on a tangent from the question, then on a tangent from that, then a tangent from that, until the original question was nowhere in sight, but the essay was hilarious. I was considering sending it to Harvard as well, just because tho I would like to think I stand a chance in the first place (1500, top 10% of class, avg 763 SAT II, captain of 2 teams, musician), it's Harvard, and chances may well be slim. So here's what I was considering... writing a quick note, something to the effect of:

"I wrote this essay for Stanford in a flurry, and I must say it is fantastic. It reveals a side of my personality that I feel the common application didn't capture, and I have decided to send it to you all, at Harvard, as well, simply to give you that same insight. I have left it unedited."

And then pasting the Stanford prompt and my response... completely unedited (I mention Stanford a few times in the essay, I would leave it as Stanford for kicks)... anyways, something to this effect. Harvard's "Ivy Tower" sort of reputation frightens me though in that I see Stanford as the kind of place that would love this essay, and Harvard possibly as one that would say, "What a little shithead kid," and I would blow what little shot I had in the first place. But then I tell myself that's probably just a stereotype. Any thoughts? Anyone admitted EA who had a really outrageous essay?

By Purple_Fiish (Purple_Fiish) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

they say they want diversity, you got the other stuff (test scores, grades, ec, whatever) so why the heck not. i would send it. i would think twice beofre saying it was for stanford, though. i mean, harvard probably wants something that was written (or looks like it was written) for and only for themselves. i think. well, good luck.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

Problem is, if I don't say it's for Stanford then using the prompt will be a little weird. I can easily adapt it so it stands alone, but I think they would probably be familiar with the Stanford prompt and recognize the essay as being meant for Stanford. Ergo, why not just shove it in their face, just sort of to poke fun at the whole process? ;P
Donno. Maybe I'm pushing my luck. -.-

By Mnm (Mnm) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:13 am: Edit

they'd laugh, they'd think your essay is unique, they'd think you are creative. but they think they are number 1, so shove stanford in their face, i dunno if that's a good idea. so even if they like your app, they'd probably reject you.

By Iamthekid (Iamthekid) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 06:30 am: Edit

don't mention stanford in the essay body. Replace it with Harvard

By Kickassphalt (Kickassphalt) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

Agree with Iamthekid. Don't think of the Ivy tower mentality, they like humor just as much as stanford does. And remember, the common app allows "Topic of your choice" as one of the choices, so definitely don't put anything about stanford in the essay or in the blurb because it's kind of like kicking yourself before you get a chance.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Just say the question stems from the application of "a lesser school". That'll appease them.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Oooo. "Lesser schoool." That's nice. ;D
Especially nice if they realize that it's Stanford's essay, hahaha.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Iunno man that sounds a bit conceited

By Purple_Fiish (Purple_Fiish) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

They were kidding.

By Maggie9000 (Maggie9000) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:38 am: Edit

While I was visiting Harvard, I heard a story about a girl who accidentally submitted an optional essay about "why I want to go to Yale". She was accepted; apparently it was a damn good essay. I say go for it.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 08:30 am: Edit

that doesn't make any sense..

she got accepted and she submitted an essay about why she wanted to go to yale? so you are saying that she wrote about the benefits of yale' campus, location, staff, whatever and that ultimately helped her get into harvard? unless im misunderstanding you, the fact that it was a damn good essay doesnt mean anything to harvard if it had nothing to do with harvard

i would think the only thing that would really apply to both schools is that they are very prestigious.. and i dont think writing about that would help your chances

By Wastingtime (Wastingtime) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 09:40 am: Edit

some one with really good numbers and ec's at my school a few years ago wrote f--- you instead of an essay on the harvard app and still got in.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

im not saying that they would be pissed that you have Yale there.. im saying that it wouldnt help her get in.

By Demilikesemyung (Demilikesemyung) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

okay, so this one time, we were just chillin at the theaters when some old dude farted in front of us, and it wasn't any silent fart either. only thing that was silent was the room. so we drank a lot of coke, and took turns trying to force out a fart, and ppl kept turning around to stare at us, but that just encouraged us to do more.

and so we got kicked out.

and yes, i'm pretty high right now.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

harvard is very condescending and egotistical. so if you talk about another school, they may get pissed off. take this joke for example:
How many Harvard students does it take to change a lightbulb?
One -- he holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Haha, I'm insane. I submitted it with:

"I was asked by a lesser school to which Iím applying to write about what I would keep if I were to simplify my possessions. I felt that the resultant essay truly revealed a great deal about me, so Iím passing it on, unedited, to you as well:"

as a prequel to the essay, haha. and i left it totally unedited (stanford is mentioned). ;P
i'm absolutely retarded. it's sweet.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

My first essay for Harvard was going to start off like this:

"If Harvard were a booger, I'd pick it first."

I showed it to a few people, and they bopped me over the head and forced me to use another one. Sad, but true.

Best of luck to your gambit, Voigtrob!

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Haha, that's awesome. Thanks. ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page