Looking at all these stats is depressing me

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Looking at all these stats is depressing me
By Monkeyman (Monkeyman) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Damn it, i have only 3 extracurricular:

Student Council (grade representative for 2 years)

Band (1st clarinet in concert band, clar. quartet)

Debating club (there is no freaking chariman, captain, etc in this)

I, most probably should join more activities, right?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

Probably...
But it would help more to work hard on the ones you already have.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

um...monkeyman...is english ur first language?

that, in my opinion, is what you should really focus on. I mean, if you go into your interview talking the bloody, freaking, lethal, friggin, etc. stuff, you will never get accepted. Just a word of advice for a sophomore.

One more thing...as a sophomore, do you expect to be chairman of the debating club? I'd give it a year.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

yea i'd have to agree.. you sound like an imbecile

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:25 am: Edit

I'd have to disagree with the suggestion of writing about English not being one's native language. The reality is that there are so many Asians applying to Ivies for whom English is their second language, thus, the fact that you learned English at age 8 or 9 WILL NOT make you stand out among your Asian peers. If you are applying to some middle-rung college, then it would be ok, but making a big deal of this thing with Ivies will get you nowhere. Worse, they might even view it as an "excuse" or a "pity me" attempt.

Why did I say this? Because that's what I wrote for my Columbia essay, and what would you believe, it got me deferred despite having academic stats that would make anyone jealous.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

i didnt suggest that he write his essay about that. I suggested that he focus on improving in the area before he goes for his Harvard interview.

I think that a more careful reading of my original post is in order.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

I think all bloody interviews should be conducted as friggin normally as possible. The most lethal way to ace an interview would be to be your freakin self. Don't change your bloody way of talking, you wouldn't want to lose your damned self, would you??

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

is it just me or does soulofheaven sound a bit bitter?

monkeyman, if you are already in senior year, more activities will just look like padding. colleges care only about ecs that are meaningful to you. so show them that they're meaningful. maybe write a supplemental essay about them. many people with too many ecs look like they're not really involved in anything which is probably the case. again, if you're a senior, this is probably late but colleges want someone with a passion so you need to have ecs that you really care about and invested time in.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:41 am: Edit

Hehe, I'm almost on the level of Monkeyman.

Alphachimp: upon re-reading your post, I realized my folly. Although I still stand by what I said, I apologize for misconstruing your comment.

By Monkeyman (Monkeyman) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

grade 10

speaking english for 3 years, gained fluency 2 years ago (i have no intention of mentioning such facts)

i feel insecure without "paddings"

i like saying "bloody"

By Monkeyman (Monkeyman) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

MONKEY!

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 09:29 am: Edit

hahaha you're crazy

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

DUCK!

By Hotcookiedough (Hotcookiedough) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

DUFUS!

haha, i'm just bloody kidding, it just fits the friggin pattern.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

If you are really in grade 10, then there is plenty of time too add "padding." Join some now, and join something that you'll like, that you'll stick with, and that you could get a leadership position for.

By Mrpool420 (Mrpool420) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

your screwed, kill yourself now

Mr. Pool is already banned but this would have done it, too. What part of "play nice" is so hard to accept? --Admin

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

*you're

Going to Princeton and doesn't even know elementary grammar...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page