Do I stand out from the other applicants??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Do I stand out from the other applicants??
By Gman64 (Gman64) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:43 am: Edit

I am the standard southern California asian valedictorian - type person.

Though I'm only in 10th grade, I'm looking ahead :)

I took two political science classes at the local University of California last summer (after completing 9th grade) and got an A and B.

The teaching aide said I was more prepared than some of the first year undergraduates.
(I was the only high school kid in the class)

I AM SO OBESSED WITH POLITICAL SCIENCE!!!
(and I have had 2 letters to the editors to my local newspaper this year, which has been ranked one of the best newspapers in the country)

Also I have a passion for political science and writing about it through journalism. In newspaper, I have written several investigative articles about scandels at my school district, and my advisor said it was the most well-researched article in her 20+ years teaching newspaper.

Also, I am an intern for my local state assembly person, and they said they would be happy to give me a letter of recommendation to Harvard in the future.

I got straight-A's, and all that stuff....
and I am taking calculus this year (10th grade).
By senior year, I will be taking linear algebra and differential equations (in my own out of schol program thing).

--------------

So do I have a "good" chance? Thanks
(btw I hate sports and have only like 2 extracurriculars... but I am OBSESSED with those ecs)

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:11 am: Edit

OK, chief

What are your opinions on Arnold Shwarzenegger's rise to Governor? How... and Why?

Just wondering what a fellow californian thinks...

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Hey, you're sort of like me. I also took college classes in 9th grade (and am still doing so). I'm a junior. I also took calc as a sophomore. I think you have a great shot at Harvard since you have a dedication to political science and have shown that in different ways. Just do well on the standardized tests and you'll be fine. Good luck!

By Gman64 (Gman64) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Thx.

Btw, Arnold.

First of all, I don't like republicans.

Second, he has already messed things up. HE TO GOING TO "FIX" OUR PROBLEMS BY TAKING OUT LOANS!
(loans that me and u and the rest of california's youth will have to pay back in the future)

Third, if people voted for Davis, they should stick with him. People should not be able to change their minds when things start to get bad.
If it were possible, I'm sure most presidents in the 20th century would have been recalled before they finished their terms.

By Itempest (Itempest) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Passion is a good thing. Make it shine through and you have as good a chance as anybody.

About Schwartzy and California, it's too bad doing a recall is easier than impeachment. It could well have been avoided...

By Gman64 (Gman64) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

as good a chance as anybody?

actually... i WANT an extremely good chance

By Kickassphalt (Kickassphalt) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Ehh, well to me, at least, you sound a bit obsessed rather than just passionate. Plus, polisci isn't that impressive. The adcoms said specifically that they aren't impressed by references from say governors or congressmen.

And since you don't have any national recognition, your chances really are about on par with everybody else's. Don't forget, the caliber of the average applicant to Harvard is already extremely high, and many many people also have passions. Your chances will be better or worse depending on your essays and recommendations.

So right now, you look like as if you have chances of everybody, since you haven't written any essays, haven't shown any scores, and basically, haven't filled out the app yet. So if you WANT an extremely good chance, then you'll have to step it up.

That's my honest opinion, take it for what it's worth, i'm not an adcom or anything.

By Danjones1786 (Danjones1786) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

gman64-

"First of all, I don't like republicans."

I would expect someone with such passion for politics to be slightly more open minded than to include all republicans in the same category. I mean you can't even begin to compare John McCain and Dick Cheney on issues like campaign finance reform and the economy. In fact there are plenty of Democrats out there that are more conservative than some of the Republicans so I don't understand how you can make such a general statement unless the only basis you have for not liking Republicans is their party affilation and not their political ideologies. I won't comment on the Arnold Scwargenzager victory since I don't live in California and thereofre am not fully versed on all the details of his administation.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Excellent point Danjones.

You need to chill, gman, and assess your priorities. See the "crimson-crazy freshman" thread for more on this.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page