Any Internationals applying or accepted to Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Any Internationals applying or accepted to Harvard?
By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit

Post your stats man! and finaid if applicable.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

Anyone? No one got it?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

I got in. I hate posting stats because I don't think stats get you into anywhere.

I applied as an international but have been living here for 8 years, so I am not sure how they viewed me. I applied for financial aid.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

They probably viewed you as an International. Congrats. But I'm rather surprised that you're too lazy to post even two words "RSI alum", those two words alone can get you in, although you probably have other honors

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Of what I know, 5 RSI alums got deferred to Harvard (and one's surprising because he was a Siemens regional finalist). RSI doesn't guarantee you admission to Harvard. Then again, I didn't mention the 18+ kids who did make it.

By Monekit (Monekit) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

May I ask, what is a RSI alum?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

Alumnus/alumna of Research Science Institute... a very prestigious international summer program in MIT for rising seniors. Eighty people were part of RSI 2003, including 50 Americans and 30 foreigners. To colleges, RSI speaks of a lot of things, but mainly that kids who go through RSI know how to do research in science.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 05:07 am: Edit

k, why do u have to go to MIT to learn that?
i do research at the local university for 7 hrs a week, doesnt that say i can do research in science too?
RSI probably costed u a fortune eh?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:28 am: Edit

it's actually all expenses paid, but hey, your 7 hours a week is probably better than their 6 week fling

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

I'm sure those RSI alum that got deferred will be admitted unless they did not want to get admitted and wrote crazy essays.
Did any RSI alum get rejected by any college in the past?

By Polly (Polly) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I don't think they view people living in US for 8 years as international students.. at least, not really. At my high school, there are many people who've been living in US for about 8 or less years also, but most of them definitely look like domestic students, from my view point (I've been in US for 2 years).

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:49 am: Edit

Hey!!! BLASPHEMY!!!

"k, why do u have to go to MIT to learn that?
i do research at the local university for 7 hrs a week, doesnt that say i can do research in science too? RSI probably costed u a fortune eh?"

"hey, your 7 hours a week is probably better than their 6 week fling"

Two things:

1. As was mentioned before, RSI is all expenses paid. And some amazing people have gone through the program. 22 Siemens semifinalists this year, 7 regional finalists, last year both Siemens and Intel winners were RSI alums. Many of them have gone to international olympiads too.

2. If you dare to think that 7 hours a week at a local college is better than 24 hours a day experience at MIT for 6 weeks (where you get to work until 7:00 AM and actually have fun too), or that such an experience with 80 incredibly bright kids (and some amazing staff, both official staff and unofficial staff consisting of alumni who just drop in) can't teach you a thing or two about research (or LaTeX), that's where you're wrong. Although I firmly believe that what you learn at RSI you can get elsewhere, you won't believe how changed everybody is by the end.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

I think it's highly unlikely that RSI alums get rejected anywhere but Harvard. However, at least one has been rejected from MIT of all schools, even though it was for bad behavior while at RSI and pissing off the staff (RSI staff have friends in high places which may help you if you're good but if you misbehave, you won't get very far).

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:56 am: Edit

memememe, i dont mean the experience, i mean the actual caliber of the research, 7 hours per week consistently is probably better than 6 weeks, and the research activity isn't even all day, 24 hours a day at mit for 6 weeks, you do have to sleep some time, and there are other excursions too, so yeah, the experience is unbeatable, but some kids are doing really solid long-term research, such as 7 hours per week on a regular basis that in my eyes has more value than a project done over 6 weeks, just putting things into perspective

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Sure... but seriously, the stuff we can do at our age is puny compared to the kinds of research being done at the top labs in the nation.

I know that RSI alums do not win Siemens/Intel because precisely what you say, because the caliber of our research may be lower than some who have worked for months or even years. And the ones who win often submit their non-RSI project to win competitions.

Yet I feel we do research the right way, instead of the random try-it-out approach that many high school researchers may use (which I certainly did before going to RSI). The process of research is something that can be learned any place, but being at a place such as RSI really helps. Sure you can teach yourself LaTeX on your own, you can do many things, but it's all easier with others around.

Does it really matter if our research today is so great? I mean, there's the future. RSI prepares us for years to come, not so much in high school. I doubt it will matter how good your high school research was a few years from now.

If you want, you may take a look at my paper:
http://web.mit.edu/paulryu/Paper/main.pdf

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

well, im just gonna stop prolonging this, haha, yes, rsi is a great place to build researching skills etc. to prepare ppl for future endeavors, i dont wanna hack on the program, but some ppl act like rsi is like a god-send, and it is a stellar program, but ppl are doing solid research too outside of rsi.

in any case, your research paper is impressive, some of it i dont understand ;) but it is a cool piece of work

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

lol.
Well, MITwannabe, there are a few things you're not considering.
First of all. It's MIT/Harvard that we rickoids get to research at. Unless you live down the street from, say, princeton, yale, johns hopkins, or another similar high-caliber, research-based institution, it is highly unlikely that the quality of the research conducted at your local college will be at the potential level of RSI projects.

And by the way, Daniel. Some research at RSI is very nearly 24/7. I pulled some 14-hour days in the lab, quite consistently - just ask paul. Jamie Rubin, RSI '02, intel and davidson winner, etc., had the same schedule.

And yes. RSI isn't just straight research. If you want to do that, RSI isn't for you. The program is for research-oriented, high-performing students who are also well-rounded. The point is not to cure cancer (although certain projects took steps towards those ends ;)), but rather to give students an understanding of the high-powered research we will one day be conducting and putting us in touch with a community of equally gifted scholars/academics.

likewise, my paper is at http://web.mit.edu/jasonchu/www/main.pdf

It's not the best RSI paper, but it's an idea.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

RSI doesn't cost any money, as Paul said. in fact, I made money this summer :-P $720 in tech points, plus $45/week off-campus travel and food stipend = jason makes a few hundred bucks.

Plus, as an RSI alum, you're given many opportunities. Travel, reunions, knowing people, meeting people (On my recent trip to the UK to visit another RSI alum, I met and hung out with a few I hadn't met before), writing questions for the USABO, working with CEE... it's all in the package.

also,
>"but hey, your 7 hours a week is probably better than their 6 week fling"
You really, really cannot make that value judgment without knowing where, under whom, and to what purpose those 7 hours are.

And also, Daniel, are you the same one who did work with Stephon Alexander?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

well yeah i agree with everything you said, when i mean the whole experience i do mean a place like harvard or mit which provides a researching environment unparalleled by anything else, and true, I cannot judge the 7 hrs per week without knowing what kind or quality of research, i just made an assumption since it seemed pretty dedicated. i hope you guys dont think im trying to detract from the program, that's far from the truth. it just seems that some ppl think their work is peanuts compared to rsi stuff, and yes, some of it probably is, but i just wanted to assert that a lotta ppl's work is on par with stuff done at rsi. and btw, that paper is also impressive, i didnt read all of it, but i read the abstract and some tidbits here and there, pretty darn interesting!

anyways, do you guys know where you're headed next september? and i was gonna say, ecismyhome, knowing my name and mentor is a little unnerving, has someone been doing a little snooping? lol how do you know that

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Your name is on your profile. And googling gives an awful lot of results. Like how you're from Canada. I can even find pictures of what you look like... :-)

You can do the same with us with a bit of resourcefulness.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

ah of course, i didn't even look up to see my name, i was kinda spooked, i was like, hmmm, you have a stalker now, haha, j/k, but yeah, those reports are really cool, i mean rsi never ceases to amaze me with the caliber of their work considering it's only 6 weeks, are you guys in EA somewhere already? (im guessing you are ;)

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

haha.
Harvard deferred me, which is pretty much the only place that does so for rickoids :( I'm among the five.
Yup. Paul and I have pictures of you and what you look like, your mentor, and your research group O:-)
Of course, you know, you know my home address. so that's evened out (or do you? You should by now).

So you're saying now that "rsi never ceases to amaze me with the caliber of their work," huh? thanks :)

Just call me the universal %finger command.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

haha, oh the things we can do with the internet, funny how we all went through that trouble to find out more about each other, and ive don it millions of other times with other ppl too. god, aren't we such freaking stalkers, lol, and btw dont twist my comments, i never said rsi work wasn't impressive, i just made a perhaps unfounded in some respects claim about consistent long term research. im trying to get into harvard or mit or those biggie schools, im canadian yes, so it'll hurt me at mit, not at harvard tho, but man, im itching to get in somewhere, maybe we'll all have a internet stalking party in cambridge next september!

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Harvard deferred Mr. Chu, but he has a safety, MIT, so let's not worry too much about him.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

ehhhhh
we've talked about MIT, paul.
It's a great school, but for my humanities... erhm...
Although if our friend Jack Florey has anything to say about it (and he does), I think I may be tempted towards tech...

By Memememe (Memememe) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:51 am: Edit

\sarcasm

Bah. Humanities. Who needs them? The only humanities that we should study is history. Science is our only way to the future.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:57 am: Edit

\sarcasm

Bah. Pianos. Who needs them? The only pianos that we need should be in fires. Big ones. Big fires are our only way to the future. In heating.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

I would say something here but fear the wrath of the moderators so I just leave this little contest unfinished.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

k, it's better in my opinion to work under a prof one on one for about 1.5 hrs a day for 2 yrs than go to that RSI thing for a few weeks. But the again, my local University isnt that good compared to ppl at MIT.
I was Intel finalist, 4th place... Canadian Math Olympiad, Comp sci national gold medalist... i never knew about that RSI thing tho, or else i would've applid

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

o, as to what i do for my 7 hr/week, i am working on Biometric Scanning for my new Intel Project, the prof i am working under also happens to be the director of the regiona sci fair, haha, so she's sending me in again for sure probably, i was the first person from my city to win an award at the Intel fair....
BUT, sometimes i do slack off and make excuses so i dont have to do, i mean sometimes i have tests or wanna go out or something...
The experience at Intel was amazing, our CAnadian team and regional teams still have reunions and stuff, it was one of the best things i've ever done
if i had gone to RSI (not saying i'd get accepted at all), i bet i would've enjoyed myself, but i was in China during the summer, too bad for me eh?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Oh you call it Intel... when I usually talk about Intel, I mean the Science Talent Search. Anyways, ISEF is good stuff. I hope I make it.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

ooo, which one is better? the Intel Talent Search or the Intel ISEF?

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:55 am: Edit

I would imagine the ISEF.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:41 am: Edit

cool =)

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Umm... in the USA, Intel STS is much, much better than ISEF. The Intel winner is the most coveted title in America, with the nickname junior Nobel prize.

By Peacemakerv (Peacemakerv) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:51 am: Edit

ooo, i c i c
so when u said i had a chance of getting in to harvard cuz of my Intel win, u meant the STS?
so does that mean i'm screwed with Intel ISEF? :(

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

You can't win the Intel STS... you're Canadian! Outside the USA, ISEF is about as high as you can go for research. 4th place on ANY international competition is really very good.

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

How is the engineering physics field at RSI? If someone is applying to RSI from lower classes, should they emphasize that the past research they have done at MIT even though they do not live in MA. How big is the deal that somebody has not taken Physics at school yet they are conducting research in nucler partilces motion.

By Ecismyhome (Ecismyhome) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

Engineering is excellent at RSI. Everything is. They *will* find someone who is an expert in your field.

The fact taht you haven't taken phys at school, yet are conducting research, is probably a bonus for you.

Applying from lower classes? That's a minus.

Not spelling "nuclear particles'" correctly? That's a minus.

By Hyoseobee (Hyoseobee) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

Not spelling "that" correctly? That's ludicrous.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

haha i wonder how many of those 80 selected for MIT research program were chinese..

*me bets 10 dollars that 80% were of asian origin, and 80% of those asian were chinese*

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

You lose bet.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

hey, me back
mememememe, plz take a look at my pic on this profile, i sent it for princeton, do u think it's gonna screwed me over?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

o yeah, i just found out i was somehow part of Team Canada at Intel... i dont even meet some of the requirements for making the team, but they included me anyhow, lol... weird stuff

By Memememe (Memememe) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I saw that and thought it was great. I love creativity.

Princeton, though, of all schools, why Princeton?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

cuz it's Princeton Tower in the background, lol
my uncle lives right off the Princeton campus, it''s a 5 mins walk... so I took that pic when i visited him last winter...

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Hey, Is no one answering my original question? or were only RSI alum internationals getting into Harvard?

By Superbighead (Superbighead) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

i have a cat who likes to drink sprite.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page