Black People at Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Black People at Harvard
By Princesanegrita (Princesanegrita) on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Hey..I'm a black and NA (1/8) female from NY
I'm just wondering if there are any URMs on this bored who were accepted to Harvard. If so..respond

By Varr (Varr) on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I'm an URM, hispanic (Mexico) but i wont know till december 2005

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

African-American accepted EA

By Ratrace02 (Ratrace02) on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I was accepted EA. I'm black and from NY too!!

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Forgot to mention...im reppin' m-town (memphis,tn)

By Tkoplaya1 (Tkoplaya1) on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Hey everyone who got accepted:
What are your stats?

Itsdakid:

My brother goes to Harvard and his best friend and roomate is from Memphis.
Congrats on getting in

Peace

tko

By Ken (Ken) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:21 am: Edit

Greetings from the Yale Board! I got accepted EA and tried a thread like this one but nobody replied. Just thought I'd hang out with you guys.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:07 am: Edit

well you are very welcomed then!!:)

By Hermpete (Hermpete) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

I'm a Chicano accepted EA.

1480 SAT, 800 Chem, 760 Math IIC, 740 Writing.

The key is that I attended MITE2S, which took place at MIT.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Hermpete,
Congratulations on getting into my alma mater!
What exactly did you do to get into MITES2S? WHat were your PSAT scores, and what else helped get you in? Had you done any previous programs in math/science? What level of math and sci did you take junior year? What do you think MIT looks for in selecting students?

I'm asking because I have a h.s. soph son interested in engineering. What does the competition look like for black males?

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Northstarmom-
If your son has any interest in going into business after getting an undergraduate engineering degree, I suggest he also apply for the LEAD (Leadership, Education, and Development) Program in Business. I attended the program this summer at Wharton, but it is also held on 11 other business school campuses across the country. Just like MITE2S, LEAD is for "talented minority students." It was a GREAT program and it touched on all the aspects of business (not just finance), so it could very well help your son. And as a parent, im sure you will be happy to know that it's free for all accepted students (everything, including travel). Anyways, I just thought I would let you know since it is always good to have options. If you need any other information, let me know.

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Whilst we're on the subject of summer opportunites for African-Americans, I'd like to gain a little information for myself as well. I see all these programs for the advancement of minorities in science and business, but I'm very inclinded towards literature and humanities. I'm a black male looking for something productive to do with my summer that involves traveling and learning. Is there any hope for me? =/ By the way, I'm in a home with very, very low income.

Itsdakid, were there any studies of International Affairs at this program? Thanks!

By Hermpete (Hermpete) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Northstarmom-

Let's see....

Sophomore year I was enrolled in IB Chemistry 1-2, and took the PSATs (scoring an 1190). I applied to a minority summer program at the University of Pennsylvania (the W.E.B. DuBois program), and was not accepted.

Junior year I doubled up on science, taking IB Chemistry 3-4 and IB Physics 1-2. I also was enrolled in AP Calculus AB, and took the PSATs (with a 1370 score). I then applied to the MITE2S program, and was accepted later in the year.

Surprisingly, many of the students I spoke with at MITE2S had scores in the 1300s or below. Looking at the mean and median scores for my year, it was the lowest in several years. There definitely were some exceptions, however, with several 1500 students who aced every SAT II and AP test they took, but overall a pretty reasonable group test-score-wise. The director informed us that there was an abundance of money donated to the program, and thus more spots were opened. This, coupled with the fact that there wre fewer applicants, made the admisison process easier.

I hope your son is able to attend these truly outstanding programs!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 01:24 am: Edit

Thanks, Hermpete for the info. Do you know if the DuBois program still exists? I can only find one mention of it on the web, and that was more than a year old.

Itsdakid: Thanks for the info on LEAD. Unfortunately, my son shows no interest in business careers.

Koopatroopa: the only programs that I can think of that come close to addressing your needs are minority journalism camps which are offered by some universities in connection with colleges. I think that the ones at Central Michigan University and Clark Atlanta will accept out of state minority students, which is not the case with the other programs with which I am familiar. Contact their journalism depts. for info.

The minority summer programs are driven by grant $. There's a shortage of URMs in the sciences, business and journalism, and there's foundation and corporate $ available to fund such programs. That's not the case with literature and the humanities.

From what I hear, there are some nice creative writing programs such as the one offered at, I think, U of Iowa, Kenyon, Duke and Simon's Rock. All, though, require one to pay and none seem to have a minority component.

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

Northstarmom-
Actually the same person who founded the DuBois program also founded LEAD, so I happen to know a little bit about it.

Unfortunately, he said that the DuBois program was not a success and that it would be terminated "until the problems could be adequately addressed." One of my fellow LEADers attended the DuBois program during its only summer of existence (2002), and he said it was a disaster. Lack of organization, lack of staff, ect. Personally, I think it's done with permanently...

By Ezcash (Ezcash) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

whats good. hey im also black and accepted 2 harvard, just seeing whats good with yall.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page