Question about admissions representatives for northstarmom

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Question about admissions representatives for northstarmom
By W1628 (W1628) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Hi, I was wondering because of all of these people are talking about calling or writing to the admissions representative...who is the admissions representative? If so many people feel that they can get in, how do they all get this person's contact info? I've just been in contact with my interviewer.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I don't know how students get info about their regional adcom. I imagine they call the admissions office to find out.

I honestly think that the students who'll be writing letters to and calling their regional reps would better spend their time by finding some good safeties, making sure that they have informed Harvard of any significant updates in their achievements, and by making sure their other college apps are as complete and well done as possible.

It can be worth their time to call the Harvard person who interviewed them, and to get that person's suggestion. I don't think, however, that it's worth it to call Harvard adcoms. IMO, the general kissup factor that might gain one points at a less competitive school would count as an irritant at Harvard.

One simply doesn't stand out at Harvard by wanting desperately to gain entrance. For most applicants, Harvard is their first choice. They desperately want entrance. They are wonderfully qualified. Yet, odds are that 9 in 10 will still be rejected.

This is just my viewpoint, however, and I'm only an alumna interviewer, not an adcom. If someone has personal experience indicating that it's worth it to call an adcom to find out why one was deferred, please post.

I have heard that if one is rejected and is curious about the reason, it can be worth it to call a college adcom. I haven't heard this specifically about Harvard, but have heard it about other colleges.

I haven't heard that it's worthwhile to do this as a follow-up to a Harvard deferral, though.

By W1628 (W1628) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page