Gender quotas?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Gender quotas?
By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

Does anyone have any idea as to the percentages of applicants that are male or female? If there are, say, more male applicants, would it be easier for females to be accepted?

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

I'm guessing it's probably pretty even. I don't think being a girl or a boy would really help, unless you were a guy interested in child development and psychology (and had ECs and stuff to back it up).

Altho I think it's easier to get into MIT if you're a girl, since they have a lot more guys.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

Not so. MIT is 48% female.

By Obscurity9 (Obscurity9) on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Actually, it is easier for a female to get into MIT. Because there are less female applying to college in general and the fact there is a larger male population who are more on the technical side, females have less competition in getting in. And MIT always tries to have a balanced population of guys and girls.

By Icansmile4u (Icansmile4u) on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 07:22 am: Edit

Obviously, there are some gender & geographical quotas involved in the admission process, believe it or not. I got deferred by Harvard recently and the crimson newspaper mentioned this year they deliberatedly took more girls than boys to make some gender balance on campus:. around 56% of girls and 44% of boys among new EA admits. The policy varies every year so we absolutely have no control over it. Probably, getting into top notch school is like purchasing a lottery ticket anyways. For institutions like Caltech and MIT, girls have ridiculously higher chance of getting in. In extreme case, the chance was almost twich based on research made a few years ago. Quotas exist just ADCOM doesn't like to admit it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page