Illinois Institute of Technology -- anyone going there?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Illinois Institute of Technology -- anyone going there?
By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

The topic speaks for itself.

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I just wanted to say...It's April 17, and they're still trying to recruit me. In the mail today was an application and a letter saying I would be gauranteed at least 15K in scholarships/grants. They've also been calling me once a week or so. But not a snowballs chance in Hades I'd go.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

most likely!

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

I'm going there as well.

By Hrithik (Hrithik) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

did any internationals get the camras next......?

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

I could not attend the CAMRAS interview.
Creatorcat has attended the interview and has also won full tuition.lucky her!!

By Hrithik (Hrithik) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:19 am: Edit

ohh they dint do the interview for internationals via fone...i fergot to Apply... got a schol for $9000 which reduces to $5000 if i dont stay in the residence halls or something like that... WEIRD!!!

By Asdf (Asdf) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

is IIT that good of a school?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Well, it appears that Gogirl, Creatorcat, Hrithik, and I will be going there...

By Hrithik (Hrithik) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

sorry for misleading i aint goingt to IIT .. me going to uiuc

Asdf: Its a decent school.. and if you get a good monetary package priorities.change bigtime.. and they have the camras next schol which is full tutions so u can save some $$$..

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Sorry, Hrithik. My bad. Gogirl and Creator -- have you taken IIT's placement tests yet? I finished the easy ones, but still have to write the essay for the writing test. GRRRR!

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

hrithik: not all camras schollies are full tuition.. some got room& board as well (the luckiest ones..), some got only 3/4 tuition, the rest were left with the initial 13k.

quarky: I haven't taken the tests... when/how did you take them? (like, did they send you the papers and you sent them back? I'm clueless...) those are subject tests, right? since we're internationals, they'll prolly give them to us when we arrive there in august?... or not? geez, I know nothing about this...

what were the easy tests?

define 'easy' :)

IIT seems like quite a decent school. It's not big, and I like the individual attention they pay to prospective students. I'm really happy cause I enrolled there, liked the college of architecture a lot, and loved the city...

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

http://www.iit.edu/newstudents/placement/main.html

I found the math and chem exams easy. I actually missed 5 math questions, but quickly sent an email to their math guy at IIT, because those questions were f'ed up -- on some of them, directions were incorrect, on others -- the right answer choices were incorrect. I missed 2 questions on the chem exam...

By Hrithik (Hrithik) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 04:03 am: Edit

ohh I dint know they have that many schols i just read in their brochure that only two got full tution .. i guess tht must be full tution boarding and lodging.. anyways congrats on get the camras next well done!!!

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

Thanks for the link,Quarky!
Will take the tests in a couple of days.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

thanx quarky!

by the way, the li'l booklet I got with the admission package said 'you will have the opportunity to complete placement exams, be advised and register for classes during Orientation Week (Aug 17t-20)'... No need to hurry :) j/k
uhm... okay, math's easy right... writing too... but I'm really troubled with this crappy writing portfolio they want..

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Actually, two diff pages contradict each other -- one says they want an essay, the other says they want a portfolio. I am still waiting for a reply from the dir of placement exams... he will prolly reply tomorrow. I hope I can do the portfolio.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

What is the advantage of completing the tests before going to IIT?
Like creatorcat said,international students could take the tests during orientation;
But is there a special something if we complete these tests beforehand?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

Well, you have to go through advising, but you can go through advising only after you have completed the placement tests. By taking them early, you will find out what classes you will be taking earlier than if you waited and took the tests late.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

uhm... not that I mind with doing any of the tests now, but we're all gonna go through advising during the orientation week, one way or the other... still the tests should be done in advance, it won't hurt, and it's safer... there's no apparent deadline for doing them (except, obviously, august...), or I didn't see it on the page..

as for the courses,I'll definitelly take all the available ones related to architecture, but... uhm, did you take a look at the electives? not much to choose from... especially the humanities electives... "Life Stories"??? what's that about? I'm thinking about "industrial culture".. well, one step at a time.

by the way, quarky- lucky you with the portfolio, because I pray to do one essay only... I sincerely hope there's a chance just to slip the essay to them, because I really don't have three good essays from highschool (frankly, none), but they can't really be expecting us (internationals) to have them... can they? we've done completely different writing from the one in US or UK schools...

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Right, you can just take the tests close to the orienatation week. However, I will do everything early just because those math and chem tests were fun (you know, I love math+sci), they did not take long (~2.5 hours total, for the two tests), and I just always screw up when I procrastinate. It's time to change. Plus, I wanna get the classes I register for. Being last sucks. At some schools, being last means being over the class limit, and that, in turn, means having to wait for next semester to enroll in that class... and that sometimes means missing a prerequisite for some senior class u wanted to take..

I will just get it all done early, so I don't have to worry about it. I will probably submit my portfolio in June.. maybe even July. But definitely before August.

Crappy electives? AWESOME! I am so happy now. I hate all those social studies and humanities. I want nothing but math+sci

The essay topics suck, that's why I just wanna throw a portfolio with a research paper, a reflection on some literature piece, and a prose essay.

By Exeguest2001 (Exeguest2001) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:44 am: Edit

I think there admissions process is pretty slow,I am an intl.student from India ,first they sent me a mail requesting various documents that I sent but they could'nt place,then just a couple of weeks later they admitted me with a $9000 scholarship when I was thinking about sending another set of docs.
Anyhow,I have now gotten into Purdue and IIT, Purdue's pretty expensive.Dunnow where to go,Any suggestions?????

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:22 am: Edit

Which city/school are you from?

By Exeguest2001 (Exeguest2001) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I'm frm lucknow.Currently planning to give SAT-II on the 3rd,hoping for a transfer frm Purdue.Wht 'bout u??

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Hey, Exeguest, are you the one who came to Delhi in November 2002 to write the SAT I?

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I am from Hyderabad.
Taking SAT2s will be a good option if you are considering a transfer.

By Exeguest2001 (Exeguest2001) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

I did take my Sat-ii ON THE THIRD ,PHYSICS MATH-I,unfortunately forgot to take my calculator so I had prblems with trignometric angles. Anyhow, hopefully I'd get a reasonable score to see me thru.

By Exeguest2001 (Exeguest2001) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:30 am: Edit

HI! kk02 thankx for telling me about cricket at Purdue.No,I was'nt the one I gave my SAT-I in January.

By Rishabh (Rishabh) on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

hi! all of u are talking about choosing courses and electives etc. i've just received my letter of confirmation, housing, I-20 even tho i applied months ago. please tell me what i should do from now on. i decided on IIT coz of the $9000 scholarship.
which housing have u guys applied to MSV or SSV??
any1 needs rommate?
my stats:
male from pune, india. elec engg freshman.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page