Can I accept offer from two Universities





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Can I accept offer from two Universities
By Kengeorgesmith (Kengeorgesmith) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 03:06 am: Edit

Can I accept offer from two Universities , pay the deposit in both as I need some more time to decide. If both universities are Ivey do they cross check. Is there anything illegal in it

By Heartbroken (Heartbroken) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 03:30 am: Edit

its very illegal and you could possibly be rejected from both as they would most certainly revoke your admission decision and possibly even sue you. its ok if you are on the waitlist of another institution but you can't committ to two schools at the same time

By Jkazoo (Jkazoo) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I have a great deal of difficulty believing this answer. To call this "illegal" is absurd - what laws would be broken by doing this? And to suggest that a college or university would sue over this.......I think they would consider it a great waste of time and money. I suppose it's possible that one or both colleges could revoke admission, but I wonder what grounds they would use. Every college has received deposits from kids who end up not showing up in August.

Not that I have any authority or experience here either. But I don't see anything wrong with it, except maybe a waste of money.

By Shinji (Shinji) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Actually I deposited all my dues too...(they are music schools)...you have to call and ask if you can do that...For me, that money just holds a spot and scholarships...you sign on the school later...it depends...call and ask...It's only bad if it's ED

By Kengeorgesmith (Kengeorgesmith) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

How can any university revoke the admission. How will they know. I am not going to tell . Paying the deposit is not like signing a contract.
Heartbroken ! !!1 Why do you think it is illegal???

By Wisconsinguy (Wisconsinguy) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Often, colleges do check out with other schools if two offers of admission have been accepted. It could be considered illegal, for, indeed, your very offer of admission is a conditional contract. You agree to keep your grades/ECs up and to notify them by May 1 if you plan to matriculate. You're playing Russian roulette, and you just could get burned.

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

hmm i wonder how they can revoke admission when they are the ones who give you admission to the college....

By Lhomme (Lhomme) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

They can and they will revoke admission if you commit to two schools. This is especially true with Ivies. The only thing you're allowed to do is waitlist one and commit to another. Btw, few people seem to realize that a college can revoke admission for anything they so desire...

Kengeorgesmith: They can find out what school you're going to/deposited at simply by calling up your high school and asking. At any rate, the deposit is often considered a contract - read all the papers that came along with that packet.

By Jaffar (Jaffar) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Don't try this with 2 Ivies because I'm sure they have a system that can trace a double-enrolment. But if you accept 1 Ivy and 1 non-Ivy then there's no way they can find out.. pretty sure about this.

By Heartbroken (Heartbroken) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 02:21 am: Edit

if your universities don't care then its obviously not illegal but when you accept their offer to enrol, usually they have you sign an agreement which states your decision to enrol only at their one school and you must abide by this legal statement.

By Kengeorgesmith (Kengeorgesmith) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

if so what about admission from waiting lists

By Autumnwine (Autumnwine) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

5 years ago, one of my friend was an exchange student in Germany, double deposited at Case Western and Cornell because she couldn't come back to see the schools during propectives weekends. When she made up her mind in July and told case western that she decided not to enroll, somehow case western found out she was enrolling at Cornell, called up the admissions officer there, and the Cornell admissions office threatened to rescind her offer due to violation of admission policies. She pleaded and ended up going there. That was 5 years ago. Things maybe different. Just be careful, knowing that just because you don't tell doesn't mean they can't find out.

Waitlist is totally different. Schools expects a few students to "drop out" due to waitlist admission. Again, I wonder if the schools confirm waitlist admission claims with each other.

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

Yeah, it's illegal. Colleges DO check up on each other, especially if it's a network of them like the UC's or the ivy's, and they will rescind your acceptance if they find out you have deposited at more than 1. Anyways, there's no point in depositing at 2; might as well decide now, considering you've had at least a month to choose, and there's no point in wasting money like that.

By Kengeorgesmith (Kengeorgesmith) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:39 am: Edit

bump

By Topcat0214 (Topcat0214) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

The guidance counselor at my daughter's school told the students very clearly NOT to double deposit. From your high school's vantage point, it would look really bad if a bunch of students started to do this - and may hurt students from your h.s. in the future. I wouldn't do it. Whether it's illegal or not.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

do whatever

By Torontoguy (Torontoguy) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

canada (ontario) is the bestest!!.. u can accept as many offers as u can.. only u "latest" acceptance counts!!

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

Even if you could do it, 500 dollars is a lot of money. If you are keen on a school or couple, just ask them and they might extend your deadline by a month for FREE!


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page