Would Letter from Governor help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Would Letter from Governor help?
By Jfmiii2 (Jfmiii2) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

I got deferred from Michigan as a transfer. I live in IL and I could get a rec from the Governor if I wanted. But, would this help? Would they think "who the f*** does this kid think he is?" Thanks for the help.

By Jfmiii2 (Jfmiii2) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

bump

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

you know the governor?

By Erin (Erin) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I think a recommendation from any governor would help TREMENDOUSLY, as long as you know him well enough that it was pretty personal. Just make sure your governor isn't super liberal/conservative and the dean of the school the opposite. I don't know if that would matter or not, but it's something to consider...if an admissions person had some vendetta against the governor it could hinder you.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

The point of a letter of recommendation is not (usually) to flaunt who you know, but rather, what people know about you. It would be terrific if the governor knows you personally, has a good grasp on your strengths and what you can bring to college. Beware, though: I have a horror story about a friend who submitted a letter from the governor. It was a generic print letter with a blank for a name -- y'know, the 'she's a great kid' thing -- and lots of personal campaigning. I would recommend finding someone closer to you -- not necessarily physically -- to write such a letter.

It's immeasurably better to get a glowing letter from a lowly community leader than a generic one from someone higher up.

By Sallyr (Sallyr) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

A letter from the gov COULD help your cause if he really knows you and can fill it with superlatives along the lines of, "Jfmiii2 (which is probably NOT the name that will turn up in the letter!) served as an intern for me last year and did the most outstanding job I've ever seen an intern do since Monica Lewinsky left the White House ... " [Hey, a bit of humor is always helpful ] or even "Jfmiii2 is my neighbor and the most extraordinary young person I have ever encountered, sure to be a credit to your campus."

A more formulaic letter that suggests the gov doesn't know you well (or at all!) won't hurt your chances of admission but won't do much to help them either.

A real slam-dunk, however, would be a phone call from the governor to some VIP pal on campus.
No pulling of strings is a sure-thing, of course, but if you're really close to the governor, tell him to pick up the phone (but just not to call on the taxpayer's nickel!)

By Lurker (Lurker) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

A while ago, the television show "Nightline" did a few shows on the college admission process. They filmed the stories of three ED applicants to a large state University, in additon to filming the inner workings of the selection process.

One of the admissions officers made the following comment on the show, something to the effect of --"The Governor once pulled me aside and told me he will be sending lots of letters of recommendations for students applying to this University. However, he then also told me I should ignore those recommendations because most of them are written as political favors."

In other words, unless the Governor really knows you extremely well and has some very specific and personal things to say about you, just sending in a letter of recommendation from a Governor, or any famous person, isn't going to make much of a difference.

By Jfmiii2 (Jfmiii2) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I know the Gov well, and he will go to bat for me, but who should he send the letter to? The Pres of Mich? The Dir of Admissions?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page