Rejected from JMU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Rejected from JMU
By 712 (712) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

My first choice school is James Madison University, a mildly competitive state school in Virginia.

My GPA is within range; it is a 3.2, and most of last year's accepted students from my HS had the same (between 3.0 and 4.0) according to my school's guidance data. My SATI scores are 570 V, 730 M, and the average combined for accepted students last year was 1165, making mine over 100 points higher.

I was rejected, and I'm really bummed out about it. Last week I wrote to the admissions director asking for a reconsideration. Has anyone heard of schools reversing a decision like this? Do you think there are any other steps I could take?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

What's becoming clear, as another parent pointed out in e-mail, is that this year's demographics suck.

Tidal Wave II is hitting with a vengeance, many more students applying for virtually the same number of spots. You can't take the previous year's stats as a reliable guide.

Sorry.

By Lovewriting (Lovewriting) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

God, I'm sorry. But on the bright side, JMU is steadily on the decline and making stupid decisions like rejecting you will only lead to further scorn of this once-great school.

By Cheerdude (Cheerdude) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

wow i'm sorry that they rejected you from JMU - where are you actually going? how were your ECs? i know that's a really big part of the decision at JMU. they look for really well rounded kids.

lovewriting, JMU is not declining. it's actually getting better with the new ISAT building and the competition for admission is steadily increasing. US News Report ranked JMU as the #1 Public Southern University for Masters. nice try though...

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

thats so weird. JMU is not THAT competitive. my friend got in with like a 2. something and low SAT scores...then again he was also a teachers assistant at FIU and a scientist at the everglades thing here in miami lol. i guess they look for extracurriculars more

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page