UCLA or UC Irvine

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: UCLA or UC Irvine
By Socal192 (Socal192) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:22 am: Edit

I pretty much came to a decision on going to UCLA. I would have to take out $5,500 in loans the first year, and probably even more the next couple of years. But then I got a large envelope in the mail saying that I received a $12,000 Chancellor Scholarship to UC Irvine. That would pretty much cover my expenses for the first two years. I am not that rich (my parents only make about $35,000 combined) so money is pretty important. But I also understand that I would probably be able to earn more with a UCLA Degree. So what do you think?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

Congradulations on your college acceptances!

I think you should go to UC irvine, for both money and fame.

Actually, its just about graduating from college indebt or debt free.

And by the way, comparing these two school's fame, I think UC Irvine have higher reputation.

Congradulations again!
I'm still waiting my decisions(already two rejections).

Can you post your stats? to give me an idea of what it takes to get in UCs.

By L76 (L76) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:07 am: Edit

No one says that you can't get just as good an education at UCI as opposed to UCLA, so if money is a *huge* factor, then you should take the scholarship money.

However, you are right about UCLA being far more prestigious, and if you are in the hunt for a job along with others, the recruiters like the big names. If you don't mind working part-time during college to cover your expenses, go for UCLA. It's a UC, so it's still far cheaper than a private school.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 05:54 am: Edit

UCLA has a MUCH better reputation than UCI. Outside of California, very few people have even heard of UCI. Have you received your fin. aid packet from UCLA yet? For me, I'd rather be in debt upon graduation by attending UCLA than going to UCI if I were to go into the work force right upon graduation because the UCLA name is worth so much more. If you plan to first go to grad school, however, it won't matter as much as long as you maintain a high GPA and prove yourself to be a well-rounded individual. The competition, is also stiffer at LA than I. What do you plan to major in? As a whole, UCLA has many more opportunities socially and culturally as well. Just my two cents. :) Good luck wherever you go! ^_^

By Impact (Impact) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Amylase is pulling your leg, Socal192. UCLA is better than UCI for virtually every major, so I would strongly recommend going to UCLA not only because of its much greater prestige, but also the wonderful environment and excellent programs in almost every field. Going to UCI when you got into UCLA is not the best decision in spite of the fact you have to pay less. UCLA is a top 25 school while Irvine doesn't even fall in the top 50. Even though college rankings is not always the best reference, a gap that big probably has some implications. Also, LA will have more job opportunity as well as a myriad of other kinds of opprtunities including social ones as well. UCLA's social life, according to many students is nurturing and diverse. With all of these things going for you, I think you are in a good situation. Makme the most of it and GOOD LUCK in the coming years.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

UCLA has much better overall academics and a much better social life, yes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page