Caltech decisions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Caltech decisions?
By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Hi!
Any of you guys received decision from caltech?
I'm international, do they mail or e-mail their decisions for internationals.

thanks

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

come onnn!!! Any body applied caltech?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

they don't e-mail decisions to anyone! I already know internationals who got their decisions... So just wait for it in the mail. Anybody is one word, decision should be decisions because of the plural "guys." Hehe, just teasing ya though. No biggie. SO what country r u from? Good luck, I am waiting for my letter, too. I am a domestic applicant, though.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:38 am: Edit

China. It seemed they never admitted anybody from china.
It takes two weeks for letters to reach china!
Do they send rejections first or aceptances first?

My stats are not very good.
Sat I math 730, verbal 600
sat II physics 800
sat II math iic 790
sat II bio 790
sat II writing 640
sat II chem 760

plus some APs(mostly science).

almost no EC.

rejected by MIT, stanford
waitting for caltech, yale, Harvard

I thought i'm hopeless. Do I still have chance?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

What about you? Give me your stats

By Lordj (Lordj) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

Statwise you seem like an average (perhaps a little above average) student. What makes you feel confident enough to reach out for those schools? If you want to study in the US, why not include some safety schools?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

confident? Nay, I'm not confident. I thought i'll receive all other rejections within next week. I'm planing to apply again next year. I'm a sophomore. Where do you think i should be aiming?
What about you, your stats, schools.

By Lordj (Lordj) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:55 am: Edit

Not that I want to discourage you. Aiming high is good, but almost everybody has a safety school on the list. By safety school, I mean, in case you are not familiar with the term, schools that you can definitely get into: state schools, schools of lower caliber etc.
I'm an international student, too. I'm currently a sophomore at Amherst College.
Anyway, best of luck to you in your college quest.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 07:10 am: Edit

Any more??

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Sophomore? wow! Well, I am Russian (living in US), and here are my stats:

Going into Electrical Engineering

SAT: 800M 550V
ACT: 34 w/ 36 math
SAT II: 730 Writing, 720 Phys, 630 Bio-E (just one semester of regular Bio when I took the test. I took that sem 3 yrs ago), 650 Chem, 800 Math IIC.

4.11 W, 3.91 UW GPA, 4/237 class rank

AP classes:
11: Calc, Stats
12: Bio, US Hist, US Govt & Comparative Govt, Art Hist, and English.

Will take calc BC (self-study) and US+COmp Govt exams this year. I didn't take AP exams last year because I got college credits in those courses.

ECs are narrowly targeted at science and math. I have a bunch of math/sci/eng awards on the local, regional, state, and national levels (more of the former, fewer of the latter, as you might have expected). Doing some research... Founder of several science and engineering competitions... team captain of a few science teams. Not much comm service. Memberships: stuff like the NHS, Business Prof of America, used to be in the American Contract Bridge League, Educational Talent Search, did some engineering camp and stuff like that.

Well, got my 1st rejection last week -- Berkeley. I did not apply to any Ivies or what most students would call "top schools of the nation," except Berk and Caltech.

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

omg "My stats aren't that good --- 800 790, 750"...pff you guys are losers...

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I second Ferraro

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page