On Clinical Depression

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: On Clinical Depression
By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

I have seen a few people mention a "stigma" attached to it, and how some people shouldn't mention it.

I am planning on explaining my clinical depression in my 10th and beginning of 11th grades. I do not really think that they will reject me because they think I will not do well because it is mostly due to an abusive father. So, if I am leaving that situation, I will be able to cope, obviously. Besides that, I am receiving treatment and it is not affecting my academic work anymore. My IB coordinator will probably mention it on my recommendations for "proof" or whatever. What do you think? My GPA got messed up when I moved states after 10th grade (which is what started this whole thing off), so my Texas GPA is a 3.7 and my Florida GPA is a 4.27. I am in the IB program and my first choice is Wellesley. Bryn Mawr and Colgate seemed understanding when I wrote their admission officers. Do you think I should mention it or not? Why? Why not? If I do mention it, how should I go about it? Should I just submit an extra essay? I do not want this to be my main essay because I do not feel that it totally represents me. Also include in your answer if you have or have not experienced depression.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page