Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Schools
By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Currently a rising junior, and I've begun to seriously buckle down into the college search and selection process. I've come up with a partial list of colleges I'm interested in applying to, but it changes so very frequently, mostly when I find a "quaint" college that interests me. I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions to add to/subtract from my list.

And, by the way, the list:
Stanford (EA)
- perfect match in interest/atmos/academia
Harvard
- gotta admit, it's the name and atmosphere, and you sure can't beat the academics; apprehensive about snob-level
Yale
- looking better and better; atmosphere is a little worrying, but everything else is on par with what I want
UC Berkeley
- Bay area is the best area ever ;), obviously academics are great, I know a lot of people there, et cetera
UCLA
- I *loved* my visit there; I'd be very much at home and the academics are very good besides
UMich
- safety; academics, atmosphere
UCSB & UCSC or UCD or UCSD
- safeties; atmosphere (except for UCSD)
Ursinus College
- lots of neat perks for a LAC school
USC
- just a safety whose campus impressed me

Look at all of those U's. ;) Anyway. If anyone has comments/suggestions/et cetera, feel free. Looking for input before I put in those applications in the fall. :)

By Asdf (Asdf) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Just FYI, you wouldn't consider UMich a safety unless you can get well over 100 on thier academic index

By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

I'm almost positive I can, Asdf, at least if we're thinking of the same academic index.

By Axfeaver (Axfeaver) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Rowan, what do you want to do for career, and what are your stats that brought you the opportunity to make all these colleges listed possible for you to be admitted

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Unless ur an in-state, or really rich....take UMICH off. they give absolutely no money to out-of-staters. even if your a minority or something down that line, they still dont give u much.

By Hautbois (Hautbois) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

It would help to see what state you're from (for the UCs), your stats (including ECs and all), and know what high school you are attending now, along with your intended major. And still there are never any guarantees.

That's one impressive list of universities. All would be reaches for a large number of students. If you look at the great stats of some students here and another (much ruder) college discussion list I frequent you find that there are unbelieveable stats and yet still students are not accepted to their faves.

Best to you!

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

You're so right about UMich. It's pretty expensive for a public university and I got offered almost no financial aid. Here's a comparison:

For UC Berkeley, they estimated my college costs at around 18000, but my family's EFC is $25000. They still offered me $18000 worth of loans.

For University of Michigan, my costs (as an out of state student) is around $34000. My EFC is still $25000. They only offered me $2,000 in loans.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page