Northwestern, U of Chicago, Pomona

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Northwestern, U of Chicago, Pomona
By Salah (Salah) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

I haven't heard from Northwestern, University of Chicago, Boston University or Pomona College yet and I was wondering what you all think my chances are of getting in (feeling anxious!) :) My stats are:

- 3.7 GPA at an extremely competitive Catholic high school. 100% of kids at my school go on to college every year. I'm in the top 25% of my class. Unfortunately, I did not do well at all on my midyear report because I've been very sick this year and because I had a lot of personal problems. My counselor explained it, but I don't know if it will be excused or not. I was a National Merit Commended Student (TX). I got to read my teacher and counselor recommendations and they were very, very good. :)
- 1470 SAT I (770v/700m)
- SAT II's: 800 Writing, 700 Literature, 670 Math IC
- AP's: 3 on European History (sophomore year), 5 on US History (junior year), 4 on English Language and Comp (junior year). This year I am taking English Literature, Government, and Chemistry.

Extracurriculars:

- Competitive oboist. I've been playing since I was 7. I'm first chair in my school's symphony orchestra, concert band, and wind ensemble. I also play in a community orchestra. I've been an All-State player every year. I compose my own orchestral music.
- Foreign exchange. I went abroad to Japan with AFS over the summer after my junior year and I studied Japanese in a community college in the years before that because my school doesn't have a Japanese program.
- Tae Kwan Do. I'm a black belt. I've been doing martial arts since I was little. I also do Japanese kendo, but not as often.
- Ballet. I've also been doing this since I was little, although I do not compete competitively. Also did gymanastics. I plan on continuing in college :)
- Theater crew. I've been involved in many productions as a backstage crew member.
- Leadership: Teen Summit on Racism representative for my school, National Youth Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C. representative for my school. Worked on mayoral campaign sophomore and junior years. I was a Student Ambassador.
- NHS member (not that important).
- National Biology Olympiad placement sophomore year.
- Contributed several pieces to school literary and art magazine.
- Community Service: Worked for Make a Wish Foundation, Humane Society, and Teen Line.

Thank you for your input! :) So far I have already been admitted to NYU, UCSD (out of state), UT Austin, USC, and USD. I can't decide where I want to go so if anyone has any input about any of the schools I applied to, I'd really appreciate it. I really want to continue playing the oboe in college and I'd like a good foreign exchange program to Japan. :)

By Hautbois (Hautbois) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

Are you planning on studying oboe at the university? If so I might be able to help with that. If you just plan on dabbling in it for fun, though, that's a different story! An instructor won't be as important, obviously.

By Lamp_Shade (Lamp_Shade) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

Pomona should come today or Monday. I think it's the same for Chicago. So shut up and wait.

By Salah (Salah) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Yes, I am planning on studying the oboe. Which schools would be better for me? Does NYU have a good music department?

By Vizious (Vizious) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I got waitlisted at Pomona

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

accepted to northwestern engineering!

By Hautbois (Hautbois) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Being in NYC would certain open your eyes to music opportunities, but if your *main* focus is oboe, then Northwestern would be my top school of choice from those you listed.

I don't know much about Pomona, but I would certainly be hesitant to go there for a focus on oboe. (Did you hear from them today? I know both acceptances, via priority, and rejections, via first class, have been sent out.)

Chicago ... questionable.

Boston U looks very promising!

I still think Nortwestern is your best bet IF you are planning on an oboe major. Otherwise I'm sure any of these would provide oboe opportunities. (However you can't always study oboe if you aren't majoring in music, so you should check into that.)

By Lhs12213 (Lhs12213) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Got in to Weinberg (A & S)!!! 2 down - 8 to go...God bless and good luck everyone!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page