Would this make a good essay topic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Would this make a good essay topic?
By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Ok, this is a bit of a long story...

When I was in the 8th grade, right at the end of the year, I had a huge fight with my dad about plans for the future, grades, etc. He's a bit of a paranoid, and had decided that I must develop some useful skills which may be used for future employment if I don't get into college or screw up at high school (no, we're not Asian, he's just plain crazy). The result was me registering for courses at my local CC, in preparation for the Associate in Applied Science degree.

I really hated it at first, but then I got to know the people I was working with, and I'm still there (I'll be finishing everything by the end of next year).

Would this make a good essay? I doubt that other kids out there have parents as insane as mine, and it was one of those "maturing" experiences... What do you think?

By Rosarosaef (Rosarosaef) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

you might want to tone down the psychiatrical assessment of your father. even if it's completely true, it won't sound mature in a college essay about maturity. i'd also leave out the gratuitous slaps at Asians... unless you're applying to Goober U.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

It seems like a good thing to write, but my mom is super crazy and made me do the same thing. And the essay about working really hard for an education and going out of my way to take hard classes isn't really helping me. However, it can be done if skillfully written; and you have 8 months to do it in, so have fun.

By Erin (Erin) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

It might make it look like you weren't interested in taking those classes yourself. If you wrote your essay about something else important to you, then those classes will still stand for themselves on your application.

By Lamp_Shade (Lamp_Shade) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

That would make a terrible essay. Write it about something meaningful.

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

I agree with Erin. Also, even if your dad really was as bad as you say... Whining about your rents makes you sound hella pre-teen... especially on an essay... Most kids eventually realize that their parents just want what's best for them; and that's true 99% of the time.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page