Student Government - Great EC??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Student Government - Great EC??
By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

The student body election at my school is coming up(I'll be a senior next year). This is my first time in which I "consider" about running. Should I run for Treasurer, Secretary, or Executive of Council?? I'm thinking about the Executive of Council position because it has five spots, but I'm afraid that it's not considered as an "important" role.

Is it better to be a student body officer just to make my college application look "good"? I have other great ECs as well, so should I run...or not? Thanks!

By Mikus (Mikus) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

It won't hurt.

Don't run just to look good though-- make sure you genuinely enjoy that kind of responsibility. I've done it for quite a while-- trust me, if you don't like that kind of thing, you're only hurting yourself by subjecting yourself to that kind of burden. =P

Otherwise, good luck on the election :)

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

Fwiw, I personally regard student government as the most overrated of EC's, both intrinsically and for how they look on an application...they're a dime a hundred lot, imo.

If you manage to help accomplish something really significant with your student government position, that would be different. But most of it is blah-blah-blah, training for low-level city administrators, educational bureaucrats, and wanna-be politicians. (Can you tell that I work with both student government types and educational bureaucrats?)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page