Has anyone used admissions consultants

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Has anyone used admissions consultants
By Ss55 (Ss55) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Has anyone ever used admission consultants or counselors? Is there any clear advantage that they provide or is it a waste or money?

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

i think it's a waste of money. you have all the admissions consultants you could ask for on the site and some people really know their stuff (at least better then the counselors at my school).

By Josh (Josh) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

i think it's sickening that people would pay someone to get them into an ivy. Why don't people just do their work and handle life by themselves. If you need a professional consultant to help you with college admissions, you obviously aren't mature enough to handle college by yourself either.

(no offense to whoever posted this thread)

By Ss55 (Ss55) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

I was just wondering if using a consultant would make the process more efficient. Incidentally, I am not a high school student. I have attained levels of success in my career that most can only hope for, so I do not think that maturity or the will to do hard work is a relevant factor in my decision. I was not hoping to pay someone to ensure admission into any school. I only thought it may be prudent to have some guidance rather than going through the process blindly.

By Sar (Sar) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Like Mzinn said, I think you're in the right place if you want guidance. :o)

You just have to know who's being serious and who's not (should be easier, now that everyone has to be registered), and be willing to wait for responses, and bump your posts up if they go unnoticed for too long.

I made it through 7 college applications without a consultant (well, 8 if you split the CUNYs sensibly, 12 if you just count the undergrads, and 14 or 15 if ya count the undergrad/post-undergrad combos). My parents had no idea what was going on but still insisted I follow their advice. The lines in the college office at my school are waaaaaaay too long for me to stand on just to ask a coupla inane questions my parents were insisting I get answered, so thank goodness I found this forum. lol

But if you're as successful as you claim you are, I bet you can do this on your own, as long as you maintain good etiquette and don't lie or get caught lying. If you're applying to a lower-tier (maybe below second tier) college, I don't think you'd have too much of a problem...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page