Questions about CUNY Brooklyn College Biomed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Questions about CUNY Brooklyn College Biomed
By Sar (Sar) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:36 am: Edit

Does anyone here happen to know why the number of applications to Brooklyn College's combined medical degree program (it's in New York) has been consistently decreasing in recent years?

I've heard that some students have been turned off by the stricter requirements, but is there any other reason? Is it because of the participating med school? How good is SUNY Downstate... compared to, say, NYU med, or Harvard med? Or CUNY med?

And do you think I should go to the Brooklyn one?
1510 sat1
800 writing
790 mathIC
760 bioE
~ 96 gpa
93+ on all regents exams (statewide)

By Sallyr (Sallyr) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

I don't know about the quality of the program, but I can conjecture that the decline in applications you cite may be at least somewhat related to the burgeoning number of combined med programs offered elsewhere. In other words, students seeking bachelor's/med degrees have far more options now than they did in recent years. Those who want a traditional residential campus experience will not get that at Brooklyn College, and there are plenty of places where they CAN.

In addition, I believe that the Brooklyn program is an 8-year one, and there are also a growing number of 7- and (even occasionally) 6-year programs that are attractive to candidates who want to be on the fast track to a medical career.

Your strong statistics will certainly make you a contender at many colleges, although the admission standards tend to be sky-high everywhere, so you might want to apply to several combo programs, and then decide which one sounds best once you see where you've been admitted.

By Sar (Sar) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

Thank you!

I only applied to 2 combos--brooklyn (the one nearest by home) and sophie davis (ccny is my dad's alma mater).

Yes, Brooklyn is 8 years. I wouldn't mind staying in college a coupla extra years with a full scholarship, though... *happy grin*

But I've heard that there are dorms at Brooklyn... or, oh, did the students mean they just rented the apartments nearby?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page