Which UC has better premed?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Which UC has better premed?
By Bestballa (Bestballa) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I'm a high school senior who got admitted to UCD, UCSB, UCR.
I have no clue which school would fit for me if I want to be a premed student. I want to consider all kinds of things such as college atmosphere, weather, academic....and so on to make a decision.
Please give me some advices..

By Kilo (Kilo) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

I think that UCR is better than the other 2 because UCr offers a biomedical program. If you get accepted to this program, you are guaranteed to have a spot in UCLA's medical school. So I think that this will benefit you more.

By Uclanerd (Uclanerd) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I have never heard of the guaranteed admission into UCLA med, but I can tell you one thing, whatever UC you go to, you cannot go to their med school, or at least you probably wont go to it, they dont like their undergrads to go to the same school for grad studies. just a thought. Oh and there is no pre med program at any UC, you have to do it yourself, I've been struggling with that for a while, however you can join clubs like AMSA which will help guide you on your long route to med school. Have fun.

By Vizious (Vizious) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

UCR has a ba/md type program program that leads to UCLA med school. However, I hear its very competitive and they cut people as time passes.

http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/bsmd/index.html

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

UC Riverside does have such a program:

UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences

You get to take one year less of medical school, however the catch of this program is there's no guarantee into a spot in the UCLA medical school.

http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/bsmd/index.html

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page