Question on Strategy

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Question on Strategy
By Rowan (Rowan) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

I'm a junior in high school right now, and I've narrowed down my potential applications list to five very selective schools where I have about 0-chance of getting in.

However, that isn't the point of this post.

The schools in question here are three private universities that offer an EA or Selective EA program: Harvard, Yale and Stanford.

I don't want a stats analysis, so don't ask me for it. What I *am* curious about, however, is how I should go about this. As I see myself as having such a slim chance at each of these schools, I'm wondering if I can't potentially weigh my options and decide which school to apply EA to.

Stanford: I've heard a lot of rumours about wacky admissions stuff; while I can credit some of this to many people's belief that the academic record and certain ECs is worth everything, it bothers me. This was originally my first choice, but now I'm not so sure.

Harvard and Yale: Harvard I can apply EA to and potentially find another school I'm interested in to apply EA to. Yale is like Stanford with the selective Early Admissions (meaning I can only apply to one school under this option).

So. Statistics, people. Opinions. For people who aren't valedictorians with 5.0 gpas, 1st in their class, Siemens Westinghouse winners, et cetera, where should I lay my bets?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

Well, I can't give you advice on which basket to put your eggs in, but I've heard that ED or EA admissions can screw you for financial aid. If financial aid isn't a problem, I would suggest Yale. Stanford is kinda nutso on admissions, I've heard that Harvard defers most everyone, but a determined applicant can get into Yale EA with less than perfect, but still very good, stats. Make sure you have all of your tests done, and work on your essays in the summer so that you are ready to roll on November 1.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page