Washington St Louis Waitlisted

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Washington St Louis Waitlisted
By Gongon (Gongon) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

i was waitlisted at washington university in st louis;

760v
740m
800wr, 760m2c, 740bio
3.7 unweighted, 8 ap classes total
newspaper editor in chief
debate captain
national merit finalist

anyone have a similar story? i thought this was a low target for me...

By Munchymnm (Munchymnm) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

My stats are not as good as yours are, so I did not expect to be admitted

about a 3.6 GPA (unweighted)
1 Ap last yr. (only one offered)
3 APs this year
SAT-1350: 620V, 730M
SAT2s-Writing: 750, Math1c: 630, US History: 610.

a bunch of ECs
University of Rochester Award for excellence in the humanities and social sciences

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I have a very similar story.... I was actually kind of shocked to tell the truth...

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

they only want student who are serious about attending. They have become sort of an ivy league safety for those studnets with near perfect stats who will most likely be accepted to better schools. FOr this reason, they waitlist an inordinately large pool. Its often not because your werent qualified but because wusl looks for students who appear to be seriously interested in the university and not using it as a safety

By Asdf (Asdf) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Also waitlisted

34 ACT
760 Writing
4 AP Euro, Eng Lang, US Gov't
3.5 GPA UW

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 09:45 am: Edit

Ok.... that makes me feel a little better I guess... but how can they tell the difference between someone who will choose them and someone who wont?

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

Also waitlisted at Washington U.

35 ACT
800 Math, 770 Verbal
780 Molecular Biology
Top 2% of Class
National Merit Finalist

By Lurker (Lurker) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

"How can they tell the difference between someone who will choose them and someone who won't?"

This is only a guess, but Wash U put on a really aggressive marketing blitz last year, complete with numerous mailings and invitations to come visit campus. They hosted several "Academic Exporation Days" over last summer, and the one day we went was attended by about 400 prospective applicants. Not only did Wash U present a great program and show their school in a very good light, they interviewed the students who showed up and had "admissions types" all over the place talking to these students.

The students who actually went to Wash U and attended one of their many programs for prospective applicants may have had an edge in the "I'm-enthusiastic-about-Wash U." department.

However, as I said, this is only a guess. My daughter really liked Wash U, especially after the visit, but she ended up getting into her 1st choice school ED (not Wash U), so she withdrew her Wash U application.

By Munchymnm (Munchymnm) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Did any of you waitlistees visit? I did not. Maybe visiting would have helped my case.

As a side note I never submitted my SAT2 history score to WUSTL. Not that that makes much of a difference either way.

By Asdf (Asdf) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I am a waitlistee, and I visited the college from out of state.

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

I live twenty minutes from Washington U. and did not interview, formally visit, or apply for competitive scholarships. I was waitlisted at WUSTL. I was admitted to Macalester ( did not visit or interview ) and also admitted to Grinnell ( visit but no interview ).

By Mmdd (Mmdd) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Sat 1470
Sat IIs- US History 780, Writing 720, Physics 670
Weighted GPA- 4.1/4, Unweighted- 3.55/4
Top 12.5% of class- I go to a REALLY competitive high school
Lots of community service
very unique internship
All classes (5) AP Senior Year & art class
9 APs all together by end of high school
4 year varsity starter, captain & MVP senior year
Really good recs & interview
white female
etc.

WAITLISTED!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page