APPEALS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: APPEALS
By Irkme (Irkme) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Any advice on how to go about appealing a rejection. Any stories of success of what to do and other info will be appreciated!

By Dts (Dts) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

id like to know as well

By Dts (Dts) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

id like to know as well, especially if you have the grades / sats to have gotten in

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

When I was doing my UC apps, I didn't really pay much attention to them because I was just planning on using them as backups in case I didn't get into any decent privates. I regret not putting more time into my app now, so I was wondering on how to go about appealing to UCLA?

My stats are:
3.9 GPA W
1490 SAT 1
750/740/730 SAT IIs
5/5 APs

EC's: debate, tennis jv, basketball, art, random comm service
awards: debate & art awards, other random awards

On my apps, I left out some stuff, like National Merit Finalist, officer position in a service organization, and didn't send in a portfolio (of my artwork). Do you think that if I wrote a letter of appeal including the stuff I left out, along with a copy of my portfolio, I'd have a chance at my appeal?

By Mikus (Mikus) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

I'd wait til you hear back from your higher choices... you might not even need to with those qualifications.

By Frank (Frank) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Unless there was a mistake in the processing (like if they never received your transcript because it got lost in the mail), you will not win an appeal.

If you feel that you should have been accepted, but there were no errors made in evaluating your app, don't bother trying.

By L76 (L76) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:39 am: Edit

I hear that extra extracurricular activities or improved senior grades are not valid excuses for appealing. For me, I was rejected, I accept that, that is final.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I don't think you have grounds to appeal. "I was too lazy or conceited to bother doing a careful application" probably won't cut it. Why should they bother to take the time to review your app again just because you didn't take the time to do it right the first time?

It would be different if you probably were rejected because of someone else's mistake. An example would be if your school calculated your class rank incorrectly or if a teacher accidentally gave you a bad recommendation after confusing you with another student.

My advice is to move on and hope that you get some acceptances from elsewhere.

By Dts (Dts) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

are the only grounds to appeal when they messed up or you messed up badly? i cant believe that some of my friends with like 4.0's and 1500 sats wont be getting into Davis NOR UCLA/berkeley/irvine.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Santa Cruz rejected me, but told me to appeal. They said if I appeal, they would accept me.

The reason? Well, this is my fourth college semester, and I am taking Honors Stats, my first math course in college. Because there is no history of my passing math courses, Santa Cruz assumed I would fail stats, which is a requirement for acceptance.

Silly, because I have a 4.0 and have won various academic honors. they realized this when we called to inquire about my rejection, and they said "whoops! that was a stupid decision. please appeal and we'll accept you."

I said no thanks.

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

way to go military :-)

By Dts (Dts) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

you can call colleges and they will look at ur app for you on the spot?

can someone please post an example of a successful appeal letter they know of

By Dts (Dts) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

bumpppppp

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page