University of California APPEALS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: University of California APPEALS
By Dts (Dts) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

how hard is it to get in to UCD by appeal, if you have the grades and scores and should have been accepted the first time around.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit

If the decision was a stupid one (like the case of UCSC and me), then appeals is a piece of cake. The only problem is, when you appeal, the decision is made late in the year, and most of the financial aid is gone at that point.

By Dts (Dts) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

cna you only appeal to a college once, and i heard you can only appeal to one UC

By Lizj25 (Lizj25) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I was wondering the same thing about UCD...On their website and they mentioned how of course they don't encourage appeals, but has anyone successfully does this at Davis? Also, say one applied for a competitive degree like in engineering, do the admissions staff take into consideration the alternative major at all if the applicant doesn't make it into their first choice?

By Dts (Dts) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Dts (Dts) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

what are some valid reasons for appeal other than they mess up on ur app

By Lizj25 (Lizj25) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

hey Dts, I'm not sure if this will help, but I thought I'd pass this information along. I've since decided not to appeal because I've heard back from other colleges, but I also was initially interested in appealing to Davis. So I went to my college counselor and she gave me basically an outline to help me write the letter of appeal and said that ultimately one should offer to them what they call "new and compelling" evidence, or tell them things in the letter that one hasn't already told them in their application. Begin by of course telling them how disappointed you are by the fact you weren't admitted, and then go into discussing the following suggested topics, spending about a paragraph on each depending on what points you decide to stress:
1.Tell specifically why you want to go this particular college and what you like about it. Mention any special programs you're interested in, are they renowned in the field of your major?, is geographical location important to you?, or have you visited the school?

2. If you've continued to take a challenging curriculum in your senior year remind them of this fact. If your 7th semester grades have been good, send them an updated transcript if possible.

3.Do you have any new leadership roles now or have you continued your commitment to any roles you previously discussed on your application? If you can make copies of any new certificates or honors you may have received regarding this. What kinds of responsibilities did you have within these positions?

4. Have you been experiencing any special/unusual challenges in your life? By describing these situations, you may make the admissions officers aware that you have been working under difficult circumstances.

5.Include letters of recommendation from teachers or people who can attest to your hard work and diligence. When you ask them for these letters, you may want to ask them if they can include specific anecdotes to support their comments on your performance.

It was also advised to keep the letter to two pages, typed, and doubled spaced. Be clear, unemotional, and sincere. Include your Social Security number at the top of every page in the right hand corner as well as your full name. I'm sure you can adapt this any way you want to, but maybe this'll help give you some ideas. My counselor said Davis is usually pretty good about dealing with appeals and taking them into consideration, I'm sure you have a good chance though. I hope this helps, good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page