AP Scholars

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: AP Scholars
By Eileennp (Eileennp) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:04 pm: Edit

When do you find out about the college board's AP Scholars determination? Do you have to apply or is it automatic? Finally, does it help in college admissions or is everyone who is applying to the competitive schools an AP scholar?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

It's automatic; you hear in the fall. It's very formulaic - it's based solely on having a a certain number of AP tests with a certain average score. If you meet the criteria but did not receive a scholar notice (it's just a certificate) in the fall, it might be because College Board has your test results filed as if they were split btwn. 2 different people. This can happen if you don't fill out identification items like birthdate, SSN, etc. correctly and completely every single time you take an AP exam.

I think it's helpful. But if you have a bunch of more impressive honors and you don't have room for everything, you could eliminate "AP Scholar". After all, you'll be telling colleges the scores if they're good, and colleges know how the AP scholar awards are figured. They can do the math themselves.

I think colleges also care about what AP subjects you took, not just how many. If you're an "AP national scholar" but you've only taken exams in history and languages, and you're applying to MIT, I think that would count less than having only one AP score, but it's a 5 on calculus BC.

By Eileennp (Eileennp) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Thanks. That's very helpful. We'll just seee how it goes.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I think that you should be proud of an AP award, especially if you make AP National Scholar, because so few people do. Listing the award is a quick way to show colleges that you've taken AP classes and done well on the tests--even if you don't want to use your AP credit to pass out of entry-level classes.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

You should definitely list high AP scores even if you don't want to use them for college credit. They prove you successfully pursued a rigorous program of study which will make you a more attractice candidate.

Once admitted, you are perfectly free to skip any credit the college might offer for your AP score and take the course instead.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I'm not going to take any APs until next year in my Senior year. how can colleges evaluate them since by then I'll have been accepted to colleges? Could they give me more scholarship money?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page