REJECTIONS!! WHO GOT THEM?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: REJECTIONS!! WHO GOT THEM?
By X41x (X41x) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

where did u get rejected to? if you checked online, paste us the letter!!

By L76 (L76) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Dear ----,

We regret that we are unable to offer you admission for the Fall Quarter 2003.

Please understand that UCLA received almost 45,000 applications for this class, and be assured that each application received a thorough review by admissions officers who balanced grades, coursework, test scores, honors, awards, community service, leadership, and work experience. We also considered the opportunities and challenges students faced while accomplishing so much.

No single attribute or achievement guaranteed admission--there were simply too many well-qualified applicants and too few freshman enrollment spaces. We rarely reconsider admission decisions based upon appeal because each application has already received an extensive and thorough review.

Undoubtedly, you will pursue your educational goals at another fine college or university. However, if you wish to consider UCLA for future transfer as a junior, please be aware that many successful transfer candidates complete their first two years at California community colleges. Please visit www.admissions.ucla.edu/transfer for more information.

Again, I wish you every success in achieving your educational goals.

Sincerely,
Dr. Vu T. Tran
Director

Can Someone post the UCLA Acceptance Letter, thanks.

By L76 (L76) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Well, (sigh), I have to say that I am disappointed about being rejected from UCLA but I will be the first to admit I didn't deserve to be accepted. It was my first choice and I will transfer as a junior to there, as it says in the letter. But, on the contrary, I was accepted to Davis, which was my 2nd choice, so I'm happy about that.

By X41x (X41x) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Dear xxxxxx:

It is our great pleasure to offer you admission to the Fall Quarter 2003 freshman class at UCLA.

You are among an exceptional group of 4,390 students in UCLA's Fall 2003 freshman class selected from the largest pool of university candidates in this nation--almost 45,000 high achieving applicants.

UCLA is a world class university. You will have access to acclaimed academic departments, a world-renowned faculty, distinctive study and research programs, and a full range of on-campus social and cultural options. You will be challenged to confront, understand, and master an astonishing range of disciplines that are measures of the truly educated. The UCLA experience will enhance your personal growth and bring you intellectual gratification in your chosen field of study.

Please read the information attached to your admit packet and respond to all requirements by the established deadlines, particularly dates for the return of critical documents. Also, carefully review the Admission Contract to ensure that you will comply with the provisions of our offer of admission. Should you have any questions, you may reach the admissions staff by email at newbruins@saonet.ucla.edu, by phone at (310) 825-3101, or visit us at www.admissions.ucla.edu/newbruins.

We also urge you to tour the campus to interact with current students who can answer your questions about studying and living at UCLA.

But for now, enjoy this moment. It's the beginning of one of the most exciting, productive, memorable chapters in your life. Naturally, you are going to learn a lot about the world at UCLA. But, more often than you might imagine, UCLA will be where the world learns about you.

Congratulations and welcome!

Sincerely,
Dr. Vu T. Tran
Director

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

UCSC turned me down. I called and found out why.

In order to transfer, I need 60 completed units, 6 of which need to be composition courses (eng 1a and eng 1c) and three of them need to be at least Statistics.

I am taking stats now (Honors stats, actually) and Santa Cruz thinks I am going to fail it because it is the first math course I've taken in college. I have an A in the course and my professor recommended me for academic student of distinction.

Whoops.

Santa Cruz called me and apologized after my counselor called their admissions office. They said I was welcome to appeal the decision, and they would accept me. They said it was a harsh decision, and they have been burned in the past by students who failed stats in the spring semester before transfer. I told them to go pound sand up their a$$es.

By Vizious (Vizious) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

did u literally tell them to pound sand up their asses? lol that would be pretty funny...i havent gotten any rejections yet, maybe in a few weeks ill have some small letters lol

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

yeah colleges are in no hurry to send rejection letters

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I didn't actually tell them that, but the way I said "No thanks, I'll go to Berkeley" had enough venom to let them know what was REALLY coming out of my mouth.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

lol...way to go Militarygrade! Which has a better location UCLA or Berkely?

By Gum (Gum) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:54 am: Edit

so if some university tells you that they mailed decisions and you got nothing you might get the rejection later?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:19 am: Edit

Congo -- although you are located in Africa, you should know by now that the correct spelling is "Berkeley."

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Hard question to answer, Congo.

UCLA is right around Brentwood, which is a really nice part of LA.

Berkeley is right around Oakland, which is a horrible part of California.

While the locations are quite different, the Berkeley campus is much nicer than UCLA, in my opinion.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Not fair to say UC Berkeley is right around Oakland. Its also right around BERKELEY, CA which is a very cool town in its own right (if you like that sort of left-wing thing.) The town of Berkeley is has a lot more sense of community than Westwood or Brentwood which have none.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Thanks for pointing out my obivious error. One can always learn from mistakes. I am not from Republic of Congo. I reside in the states. It is not safe to assume things by people's screen names.

Can I assume you are some science nerd because you have Quark in your name?

Can I assume that Militarygrade is from the military?

Can I assume that Crackcorn smokes crack?

Chill and Peace Out

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

"Can I assume Crackcorn smokes crack?"

A safer assumption might be that my first name is "Jimmy".

And that I don't care!

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

can you assume that I visit these forums incognito?....*lots of laughter*

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Crackcorn - Berkeley IS right around Oakland. The first time I went to visit the campus, I got lost and ended up in Oakland. It took me two minutes to get to Berkeley. Two minutes away qualifies as "right around Oakland."

And Berkeley might be a nice city, but I was pretty annoyed and revolted by all the punk begging for money right outside the campus. The city really needs to do something about that.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

Yeah, Berkeley has definitely gone downhill. But with a name like "MilitaryGrade" can I assume that you're on the right side of the political spectrum? If so, I don't think Berkeley would be your kind of town or school. I've heard the militant left is pretty much in control of campus politics and they do their best to ostracize those who don't agree with them.

By Edrobin (Edrobin) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit

My daughter hasn't gotten any rejections yet. We're still waiting for the first week of April. She has 7 applications in the pipeline. One early action acceptance, to Georgetown. Very stressful, the waiting.

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

i'm just sitting around, waiting for the rejection letters....i know i'll get a least one...i'm a transfer student with great stats, but all i kept seeing when i applied was "last year over 3000 students applied for 20 open transfer spots..." and stuff like that...
the only thing that i think might give me an edge is that i'm practically an old lady by university standards (28 years old this month)...and they love us non-trads :-)
UGH!
is it april 1st yet??

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

4500 out of 45,000 would make UCLA more selective than all the ivys and stanford....hmmm does not seem right.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

False comparison. UCLA is approx. 10,000 _admitted_ of 45,000 applicants; 4,500 accept.

Cf., Harvard has an 11 percent admissions rate (or did), of which something like 78 percent accept, in contrast to UCLA's 45 percent.

UCLA _is_ used as a safety by lots of students applying to Stanford, the Ivies, etc., and to some extent Berkeley. The do track as best as they can where the non-accepting students go.

By Shitakirimusume (Shitakirimusume) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:12 am: Edit

Not that simple. HYPS have ED, EA while
UCB and LA don't.

UV has ED/EA and its yield is much higher than
UCB and UCLA.

By Shitakirimusume (Shitakirimusume) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:59 am: Edit

2003 UCLA acceptance rate 23% Yield 43%

2003 Berkeley acceptance rate 24% Yield 43%

2003 Stanford acceptance rate 13% Yield 67%

(Private schools offer forms of early decision/admission allowing them to offer fewer admits, thus giving them better yield rates. )

2004 UCLA acceptance rate 22% Yield 45%

2004 Berkeley acceptance rate 23% Yield 44%

2004 Stanford acceptance rate 13% Yield 48%

(w/o ED/EA)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page