Minorities and International Students at Elite Colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Minorities and International Students at Elite Colleges
By Hildegard (Hildegard) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

I have a question regarding minorities and international student selection at elite universities,

Does anyone know how minorities other than African-American, Hispanics and Asian-American get represented by elite universities?

I know that that there's a percentage for each minority that each school tries to represent in their student body as evenly as possible, accomplishing something along the lines of: 8% African-American, 6% Hispanic, 1% Native American, 13% Asian-American, 6% International Students.. etc.

What about Indian Americans? Are those seen as Asian-American? And what about the less represented minorities in the U.S. such as Jamaican-American, Rusian-Americans, Italian-Americans, Haitian-American, Albanian-American, and all those nationalities who come by the thousands to the U.S, but are not Hispancs, African-Americans or Asians?

And what about international students? Do they have quotas or preferences? Does a native Mexican student has preference over a, lets say, a Kazakhstani, Etiopian, English, French, Canadian, Spanish, Pakistani, Swedish, German, etc..etc..??

What about the Hispanic and Asian who are not citizens of the country? Those who would be counted as international students? Do they count as minorities as well?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..
Hil

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

I don't think that schools place such an emphasis on caucasian foreign students, or call them a minority.

By And_Hypsin (And_Hypsin) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Hey, I am Russian-American but still classified as white male and therefore it's going to be impossible for me to get in Harvard or MIT.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

Yeah well, I'm Greek-American, and I checked white and other........hoping that maybe admissions would think that was interesting. Probably not though, just another white girl.

By Hildegard (Hildegard) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

I wonder how does this actually work?

I knew of a girl who transfer from a community college into Yale.

Her father is a white Mexican, her mother is American, and she was born in the U.S. and is white, speaks no Spanish whatsoever, travelled to Mexico in two ocassions as far as I know.

In her application she spoke about her Mexican heritage, and since her last name is Hispanic, she was considered Hispanic!

She got in. She had the grades, though, and good references. But she probably got a boost from defining herself as Hispanic, even though she is only half Mexican, born in the U.S., white, and speaks no Spanish.

What do you guys think about that one? Is that really a true Hispanic?

By Tim (Tim) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

There's no definition to Hispanic -- I encourage anyone who can find the slightest connection to a south of the border country to claim themselves as Hispanic.

Tim

By Ivy_Man08 (Ivy_Man08) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

Jamaican-Americans, and Haitian-Americans, are "Afro-carribean," and would be considered "black" like african americans.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

to the russian guy who said that is impossible for him to get into Harvard or MIT because he is a white male:
Wake up! Have you been to a college campus lately? They are full of people like yourself. There aren't as many "minorities" as those affirmative action haters would lead you to believe. Cheer up, there's plenty of room for you!

By And_Hypsin (And_Hypsin) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Well,that is exactly what worries me - there are too many ppl like me. But hey - there is always state university...

P.S: Tomorow MIT letter will arive - we'll see...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page