Permanent Resident vs. US Citizen

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Permanent Resident vs. US Citizen
By Sar (Sar) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Does it make a difference at all in college admissions?

I'm just curious; I know it was too early for me anyway when I applied. :)

But on the same note, this is the first time I actually get to CHOOSE between gaining US citizenship and retaining my Greencard. Has anyone here been through the same process?

I have already made my decision, but which do YOU think is better, considering your future education and career? (Maybe you'll get me to change me mind. *g*)

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

if i were you, i'd become a US Citizen, just for your sanity. Welcome to America.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

What other country are you a citizen of? I have dual citizenship myself, it's pretty cool. But not many countries allow that.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:20 am: Edit

I am a Ukrainian citizen... still have a green card and have to wait like 5 years before i get a chance to become a US citizen... i couldnt apply for many good scholarships just cuz i am not a us citizen.

By Qwer (Qwer) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

being a permanent resident or a citizen affects you less now...but if you choose to go to graduate/medical/law school, being a US citizen has great advantages.

for example, eligibility for federal subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans, alternative loans and fellowships...they are all geared towards US citizens. non-citizens often times need a co-signer for some loans. plus, many residency programs after medical school give high preference for citizens because they are often funded by the US Dept of Health and Human Services which prioritizes disbursement of aid.

By Oddys4 (Oddys4) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

most financial aid are available for perm residents. and as for college admissions nowadays, being a perm resident wont make a difference.

however, if you dont even have a green card, you're screwed. it's much harder to get into a college asking for financial aid as an int'l applicant.

By Sar (Sar) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

lol
"just for sanity." my mom says that too. (she opted for citizenship, my dad didn't.)

It is practically impossible to obtain dual citizenship with China. Nah, I don't think China would let lil' ol' me be a dual citizen.

my father says he suspects the US will fall at any moment now so he does not want to give up his former citizenship. "it's getting worse and worse," he says. Yeah, he who has been here for 13 years.

but he says something else: "it is easier to become a US citizen than it is to become a Chinese citizen."

Yeah, I know some people in my school who are illegal immigrants. I wonder how they'll manage.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page