Should I take the Writing SAT II?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Should I take the Writing SAT II?
By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

My SAT I score is 1190-- 690M, 500V. I took the Math IC exam and got 730, which I believe makes up for my poor performance on the SAT I. Should I do the same about the verbal section? English is the most troublesome subject for me, and my writing skills are pretty lame.
What do you think?

By Asdf (Asdf) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

A good writing score won't make up for a verbal one. Just study some vocab. Consider taking the ACT!

By Asdf (Asdf) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

A good writing score won't make up for a verbal one. Just study some vocab. Consider taking the ACT!

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Maritimee, I am telling you DO NOT TAKE THE SAT II Writing. My SAT Veral is better than yours, but the SAT Writing test just bombed me. I am an excellent writer and get A's in AP and Honors English but my grammar is very weak. SAT II writing is testing your grammar not how well you can write. The essay in the writing test, well you only have 15 minutes to write it, which sucks.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

20 minutes

By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

How is the ACT different from the SAT I? I always hear people talk about the ACT being more "subject oriented" while the SAT is more "Skills oriented", but how does this effect the questions themselves?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

neither 15 nor 20 minutes. You must go on the mult choice no later than after the first 20 minutes of the test, but once r done with the MC, u can go back and finish the essay.

ACT doesnt test vocab; only grammar and punctuation.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Really? I thought you only got the first 20 minutes, period. Don't take the SAT II writing. I got an 80 on my PSAT writing, and an 800 on my SAT verbal. I thought it was a sure thing for my SAT II writing......I got a 640, and I'm still not sure how. I think I must have got off a bubble cuz there's no way i missed that many questions for real. That essay is a joke that sets you up for failure b/c to write something truly good takes longer than 20 minutes. Take the ACT if you're strong in subjects and avoid the Writing SAT II.

By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I only had a 710V but I got a 780 on the Writing, which I thought was much easier. Also, you can go back to the essay while taking the test.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Well, damn, I wish I'd known that during the test.

By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Actually, I've taken the Writing twice and the first time I didn't know either, but the second time they told us we could. I think it says you can in the instructions that nobody reads.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Maritimee- some schools absolutely require the SAT II writing. I thought it was much easier than SAT Verbal. Just study grammar and sentence structure if you actually plan on doing any studying at all.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I have 500, 540, and 550 vebal, but two 730's on my writing tests. I had 10 subscores on the essay. I just wrote long essays, filling up the last line of the 2nd page. Length does matter!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page