Phone Calls From The Office of Financial Aid

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Phone Calls From The Office of Financial Aid
By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

I got phone calls from Brandeis and Vanderbilt saying that they need a copy of my passport in order to create a financial aid package...
Does this mean I got in?
DID ANYONE ELSE GET A SIMILAR CALL AND GET IN?

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

yeah you prolly got in, they dont care about that stuff unless they are going to accept you

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

that's what I thought... but I didn't want to celebrate too soon if you know what I mean.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

dont celebrate yet, but just be confident in your stats and tyour likelihood of acceptance

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I will... promise...

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

I got a letter from dartmouth office of aid for additional financial forms, is this a good sign or do they do that for all applicants?

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

How long ago did this Dartmouth letter come? Keep in mind that admissions and financial aid are SEPERATE!

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

about 5-10 days ago

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

actually i'm an intn'l student and have applied for aid. Since for int'nl student there is NO blind need based aid, the admissions and financial aid are not seperate

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

I got a phone call on my message machine from Berkeley financial aid last week. Not even to say I was missing anything. Just a "We're here to help" message. Been trying to call them back just to ask does this mean I'm in with a wink and a nod? But I can't get a live person when I call back.

By Proudtobemom (Proudtobemom) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

Our son got one of those answering machine messages, too, about two weeks ago from Berkeley. We didn't even *think* about it meaning anything. But, maybe?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

Binarydigit,where are you from,and could you put up your stats please.My friend too was asked to send in some financial aid dox.And she's got a very good chance of getting in (that's what I feel).so maybe there's a pattern somewhere.
Bye.

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:42 am: Edit

i'm from bangalore, India

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:47 am: Edit

Timepass, where is your friend from and what are her stats? I'm guessin India cause with a nick like 'timepass' you can't be from anywhere else!

By Timepass (Timepass) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:51 am: Edit

Well,you guessed right,I'm from Hyderabad. After some cut,copy and paste from this site itself,here are her stats:
1470/1600-sat1[730v;740m]
math2c:800
chemistry:800
writing:760
toefl-290/300.
g.p.a.:4.0/4.0

ecs:headgirl of school
assistant prefect-grade11
prefect in lower grades.
member of school basketball team[grade9,10,11,12]
school choir.
regular contributor to school magazine and school newsletter.
won bronze medal for standing third in i.c.s.e.from association of indian secondary schools
won numerous essay writing competitions[nationwide]
participated in the prestigious programme for encouragement of leadership in science conducted by council for industrial and scientific research,india.

excellent recommendations.
intended major:chemical engineering
minor:business and monetary economics.

P.S.-You still haven't told me your stats.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

I really hate to kill the party... but could we please get back on topic?
I have no ill intentions, but I would like this forum to stay on subject.

By Unmadindu (Unmadindu) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I don't think these calls mean anything.
Last week, I got a mail from the MIT finaid office regarding some missing forms, and I don't think I have much chance of getting into MIT (my SAT II scores suck bigtime)

But the MIT finaid rep (whose name, due to some strange reasons do not appear anywhere in the MIT finaid website) told me to contact him again at the end of this week to find out if the forms had reached them or not.

..btw, I am an Int'l from India

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

but did you get in?

By Unmadindu (Unmadindu) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

I did'nt get any letter yet.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

Well, standard forms such as FAFSA and CSS (which you don't have to worry about) are expected for them to contact you about if they are missing. However, when they request a copy of your passport, which is not a standard request, is what I am interested in.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

What was odd about the call from Berkeley Fin Aid was that it WASN'T to request any missing docs. And even when I have had missing docs, its been a letter or an e-mail I've received, not a call to my home phone. But the Berkeley call was just to say "We're here if you need any help". I can't imagine they have time to call EVERY applicant who requests financial aid. So that's why I think there's a slight chance that the call reflects something favorable. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

May I agree that that call is really strange?

By Austin_Powers (Austin_Powers) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

I got the call from berkeley and i didnt even apply for finaid.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

Are u all National merit finalsits, those of u who got the UCB call? They didn't call me.. but I am also out-of-state...

By 2132 (2132) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I got a call,an email asking for more Fin Aid info, a email asking what my top three schools were and another email saying that I had full tuition and living expenses covered if I got in. I think everyone got a lot of contact from them. I don't think I have a chance of getting in, I'm just poor enough for lots of aid.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Anything not related to any of the UCs?

By Meister122 (Meister122) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

This isn't a phone call but I received a loan application from the University of Pennsylvania's official loan provider, PHEAA, yesterday. It seems like such a thing wouldn't be sent to all applicants before decision letters are mailed, but I'm hesitant to make any assumptions. I just e-mailed the financial aid office asking what I was supposed to do with it and what it meant so hopefully they will be able to clear it up for me in a few days. I'll post the response when it comes if anyone is interested.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Wow... great to hear....
Just to update everyone, I have been getting an increased amout of the requests for more info. which I have been referring to only from schools to which I had a decent chance at. So I think this may be some sort of indication after all. In addition, I was wondering why I didn't get this request from Wash U... but they waitlisted me... therefore, this is more evidence that my assumptions are correct. IF it is... this means I got into the schools mentioned above as well as JHU, CMU, Brown, Cornell, Emory, and Tufts.... let's hope it isn't too good to be true.
Although I sound excited, trust that I am still aware that NOTHING is certain YET.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:35 am: Edit

Meister ,I'd like to kow the latest update as soon as you come to know anything.
Thanx in advance

By Meister122 (Meister122) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

They replied by telling me to wait for my acceptance notice then to mail the loan application in. So it seems like I got in. If anyone else is in a similar circumstance then I would suggest e-mailing or calling the financial aid office because you may get some good news early.

By 2132 (2132) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I recieve a loan application from Univ. of Penn also, but I never applied to the school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page