How to stand out...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: How to stand out...
By Smiley (Smiley) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Hi! My question is how to make colleges appreciate a genuine commitment to service in an age when it seems every high schooler spends some time at a nursing home or helping out with tutoring (if only--and I'm not saying this is the case for everyone--for the purpose of having one more thing with which to impress colleges). For 9 years, I've been involved in service, I've taken every opportunity to volunteer, and every kid/teacher whom I know in my school things of me as the service person. While, of course, I'll list the great number of service activities I've been in and talk about recognitions, etc., I just don't know how to help top schools appreciate my genuine commitment... Whether it's walking miles in the pouring rain to hang up posters or devoting my summer to a volunteer position or rushing off as soon as we got out of school for vacation to spend the rest of the day volunteering, I am truly dedicated to service. Not a single moment I've spent volunteering has been motivated by transcript building for college... Will Ivies/top LACs care? Any advice much appreciated! Thanks :-)

By Unicorn (Unicorn) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

out of curiosity: y do u do so much service?

By Smiley (Smiley) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

Because I love working with kids, especially special needs ones... I'm in the fortunate position that my family's not in desparate need of the $$ and I'm not really into spending $$. I believe in giving back to my community... I get lots of satisfaction from what I do... :-)

By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

Did you get any sort of award or official recognition for your service-related activities? This could help emphasizing this aspect of your life on your application. Even if you didn't, the best to do would be to write about it-- either an essay or a letter-- and give several examples of your activities. Good Luck!

By Smiley (Smiley) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

You should be fine as long as you wrote about your dedication to volunteering in your essay. Yes, the level of commitment you've shown can be listed on your resume of activities, but your true enjoyment will only shine through your essay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page