Chance of Admission

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Chance of Admission
By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Could you please rate my chances for:
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, U Chicago, and Rice.

3.92 GPA (unweighted)-4.0 if you don't count freshman year.

1540 SAT-790 M, 750 V

SAT IIs: 790 Hebrew, 760 Physics (self-taught), 730 Math IIc, 680 Writing

Took most rigorous curriculum offered at my school (a mediocre public school in southern Louisiana).

ECs: Pres. of Chess Club, Editor of school's Literary Magazine, VP of Mu Alpha Theta (math club), VP of National Honor Society, member of social studies club and quiz bowl team. 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

I am a (white) Jewish immigrant from Israel (came when I was 2.

Nice essays and pretty good recs.
I'm also a National Merit Finalist.
Please rate my chances.

I realize this isn't in the right forum, but this forum seems to have more traffic and more informed posters. Thanks for your forebearance.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

If you've done volunteering, I think you stand a pretty good chance! :) by the way u a senior this year?

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

I haven't done any real volunteering, with the exception of the tutoring I do for the clubs I am involved in.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Ivy___Hopeful,

Tell me more about how being Israeli influenced your college admission stuff. I just moved to FL from Karmiel, Isreal a year and a half ago and I have been dying to meet another Israeli with a similar situation.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Cruelfate, email me at g_sirkes@hotmail.com and we'll talk. Shalom ad az.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

bump

By Jsagoff (Jsagoff) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Chicago, Rice: yes; Columbia, Cornell, Yale: maybe; Princeton, Harvard: no.

You seem like the all-around good student with good grades and good test scores and decent ecs but nothing really stands out.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

My essays were pretty good as were my recs. I wrote about my father's death a few months ago (2 months at the time). I think they might find it touching or something like that.

By Hildegard (Hildegard) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Ivy_Hopeful,

Which school is your first choice? And what is your major?

UPenn is another Ivy League, and in many respects much better than Cornell and Columbia. Why aren't you considering it? Just curious.

I think you stand a good chance. It depends on your essays as well, and on how you presented the experience of the loss of your father.

Did you face any other adversity while in school? Do you speak Hebrew? Can you tell us briefly how you approached your essay?

Good luck

By Hildegard (Hildegard) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized you do speak Hebrew.
Just a question, since your writing is 680, I was wondering whether you got your essays edited?

The essay is a substantial part of your application, so it must be definitely good. Besides, there are thousands of students who don't write well, and end up with very good essays thanks to those essay editing services.
That's something to think about..

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

I write better than my 680 score indicates, and I wrote about 7 drafts for each essay. Each draft was examined by 2 English teachers of mine and suggestions were made. As for my choices, I'd rank them Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Rice, Cornell, Chicago. I intend to pursue either an engineering or physics major. I didn't apply to UPenn because I had applied to quite a few universities as it is and felt that my chances of getting into Penn were equal to my chances of getting into Cornell or Chicago.

As for the essay, 2 of the short answers I wrote about my father. The other two were about different things. The most effective essay was about how my father (a physicist) intended to help me teach myself physics (for SAT II and generally for pleasure) but was hospitalized just as I was beginning to learn. He passed away 3 days before my test, and I managed to get a 760.

Thanks for the input.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

Ummm....if you don't consider it too much of a privacy invasion, what happened to your dad? That must have been really difficult. My dad is already in his 50s and smokes, so I worry that he'll get cancer and die before he's really old.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

My father had a kidney transplant 15 years ago and was taking large doses of cortizone and cyclosporine (immuno-suppressants). These destroyed his immune system over time and he died of a combination of a bacterial infection, pneumonia, and gout. My father never smoked. Maybe your father should try those patches or gum for getting people off of tobacco.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Ivy Hopeful, I wish you luck! Your essay topic is very touching. Would you posting it? Or send it to me at CosmoMemoryx@yahoo.com

Thanks

*error*

*error*

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

What is that supposed to mean congocross?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

I think it means that he somehow triple posted the same thing....notice how they all went up at the same time. You know what? I hate the SAT II Writing test. I got a 640, and that is completely bogus. I mean, I got a 5 on AP Lang. and an 80 on the PSAT....obviously I know how to write and can get good scores on other tests. Why do they even require that because they have us submit essays and graded essays, plus they have our SAT verbals, isn't that good enough to show language and writing abilities?

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent, but I noticed how your score was just a bit higher than mine.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

I wonder if they would give me leniency on my verbal and writing scores because I marked that English is my second language and that I speak Hebrew at home (all technically true). I do, of course, speak English better than 99% of the population of this country and do so with no accent. I don't think that the Writing test is bogus; the two of us just didn't do well on it.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

SAT II is not a good test. I totally BSed a story for my prompt and got a 11 and most of the grammar stuff is obscure. One thing to do is to go back and reread your essay. I was appalled at how many words like "I" or "the" that I just totally skipped in my haste to finish the essay in under 20 minutes. I thought I wrote a much better essay on my first try and only got a 9. It must have been because I didn't proofread my essay the first time.

By Smith (Smith) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:59 am: Edit

Ivy Hopeful. How do you speak English without an accent?

By Londoner (Londoner) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Ivy Hopeful,

I think you have a great chance. U sound like an interesting person.

I know im digressing, but just out of interest, what is your opinion on the war on iraq? How about the Israeli-Palestinian crisis? Is that why you (your parents) left Israel? Would be nice to hear a different point of view :)

By Congocross (Congocross) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Very observant Kalitiha, you are exactly right. I went back and edit out the message.

Ivy Hopeful, I still wants to read your essay.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Smith, Ivy came to US when he was two years old and it is a lot easier to adjust when you were young.

I on the other hand came to US when I was 10 yrs old. I have a strong Chinese accent which I could not get rid of. It is frustrating because I have speech difficulities at birth plus an accent. However, what I lack in speech I make up in other areas.

To all the people out there with speech difficulties, remember never give up.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Congo: Your accent will fade more in time. Most ppl don't have that much of an accent if they learn the language before puberty. My dad has a thick accent, and even his has lessened.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice Kalitiha. I hope so because I want to go into politics one day and I do not want to give speeches with an accent. Though it might be interest...

By Smith (Smith) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 03:38 am: Edit

so what you guys mean is that you would prefer to have an american accent rather than a chinese accent when you speak english?

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Why wouldn't anyone in the USA prefer an American accent over a Chinese accent? A Chinese accent stands out while an American one does not.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

bump

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I would like to speak English in an American accent and Chinese in a Chinese accent.

By Sababah13 (Sababah13) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

ivy hopeful-

ani choshev she yesh lecha/lach sikui meod tov bekol batei hasefer she eleihem nirshamt/a. ani amerikayi im tziyun mushlam ba SAT II beivrit (horim sheli lo medabrim ivrit bichlal) ve ani nirshamti le yale, columbia, upenn, etc... mekaveh she titkabel/i ve she eireh otcha/otach sham. gam tedah/ee she lehiyot me louisiana ozer batahalich haharshama mamash.

lehitraot

By Sababah13 (Sababah13) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

ivy hopeful-

ani choshev she yesh lecha/lach sikui meod tov bekol batei hasefer she eleihem nirshamt/a. ani amerikayi im tziyun mushlam ba SAT II beivrit (horim sheli lo medabrim ivrit bichlal) ve ani nirshamti le yale, columbia, upenn, etc... mekaveh she titkabel/i ve she eireh otcha/otach sham. gam tedah/ee she lehiyot me louisiana ozer batahalich haharshama mamash.

lehitraot

By Sababah13 (Sababah13) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

ivy hopeful-

lehitraot

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Sababah13-

Ani mekaveh lirot otha be ehad ha oniversitaot haeleh. Ulay im ileh lesheneynu sababah az nitkabel le kol ha oniversitaot. Me efoh atah derech agav? Shalom u lehitraot.

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page