Typos or mispellings on an application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Typos or mispellings on an application
By Critical (Critical) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Question- could a typo keep you out? I discovered that on my app. I put "where" when I meant " were." If anybody notices, is it a super huge deal?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

It's not good. The brother of one of my teachers is an admissions reader. My teacher said that his brother's job was basically to read graded essays and throw them out at the first sign of mechanical problems. This is just because there are so many applicants they have to narrow it some way. Depends on how good your essay was, it's probably not going to get you thrown out of consideration, but it doesn't reflect well on you.

By Asdf (Asdf) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

if it's just one typo, then i'm sure you're not giong to get rejected because of it. that's one little mistake in your four years of high school that they're evaluating. of course, it's not good to look careless, but admissions people will forgive one typo.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

The essay I sent to USC had some grammatical errors. And still I got in, moreover, I was offered a scholarship..
I have two typos on another essay sent to another college (on instead of one, there instead of these- the spellchek couldn't notice, obviously, neither could I while proofreading... it's a rather long essay...)But if a typo, insead of appreciating a good essay, means being marked as REJECTED, then f.uck 'em all, errare humanus est.

By Topcat (Topcat) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:19 am: Edit

I don't think it's a big deal. If you're lucky, they'll read right over it without noticing. But even if they notice it, I find it hard to believe that one typo would be a problem if everything else looks good.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:45 am: Edit

I sent a rough draft of my Intel paper to Cornell, it was loaded with errors and and stuff that was later fixed. They did not seem to mind and accepted me. but i sent it describing it as rough work

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page