Ivy League Admissions Policy - multiple acceptance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Ivy League Admissions Policy - multiple acceptance
By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I'v heard that qualified candidtaes will only be accepted to one ivy league school. Is this true? Also what supporting evidence do you have. I was accepted to cornel CALS and id hate for that to eliminate me from going to say dartmouth or another more prestigous university

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I think that's probably crap. The Ivy League was an athletic conference, it's not there to form a net to sift each others' applicants. They're probably not sharing admissions information with each other except during Early Decision to make sure nobody is trying to screw them over.

By Asdf (Asdf) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

that scandle last year with yale and other ivies checking out other admissions decisions was far from a regular activity amongst ivy schools, from what i understand.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

Asdf, can you give us more info on that scandle... Sounds interesting.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

Asdf:

I remember that the NY Times Magazine had a whole thing on it. I dont remember the details though...

By Jk9903 (Jk9903) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

One of the deans from Princeton was caught using applicant's SSN's on Yale's web admittance option to see if they got into Yale. Yale discovered this by tracing their logs to Princeton. I believe the man was reassigned to another department.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Yeah, well Princeton kind of seems to have it out for Yale. Like, their computer students hacked into Yale's system late last summer just to see if they could. At least, that's what I heard from the Yale rep when asked about it at a meeting last fall. Seems like Princeton might have more than their fair share of ethical issues.

By Natalia (Natalia) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Just because you get into one Ivy, doesn't mean you can't get into all of them. Since you want me to back it up, here goes:
1. My cousin applied to Yale, Harvard, UMich, and Swarthmore. Got into all of them.
2. Know a kid who applied to all Ivies other than Cornell and Columbia. Got into Penn and Brown.
3. Friend applied to Columbia and Penn, got into both.

At Princeton, basically, the guy who was supposed to take over when Dean Hargadon retired hacked into Yale's computers to see if some of their accepted kids had been accepted by Yale, I guess to figure out what their chances were of the kid going to Princeton, or something.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:42 am: Edit

hmm ok, i think the person who gave me this info was severly biased as well. His children all attended Scarsdale schools and went to the only Ivy that accepted his kids - Cornell and Harvard. They were cookie cutter kids with 1550+ SAT scores. I believe at such a competitive high school its uncommon to be accepted to more than one ivy because your graduating class canablizes other students admissions chances. So a Harvard aceptee from such a compeitive school is unlikely to be accepted by other ivies such as Dartmouth or Columbia. Whereas from my school, althought it may look competitive, i was the only person to applying to dartmouth and Penn, as well as all the other Ivies

By Natalia (Natalia) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

As far as the competitive school thing goes, it's hard to judge, for two reasons (at least from what I've seen in my area):
1. At the competitive private schools, people basically send their kids there so they get into an Ivy or good LAC. The counselors know this, and you have a good majority of the class applying somewhere ED (and probably getting in), so it's not really an issue.
2. At certain competitive public schools (especially magnet schools), I've known kids to get into Harvard, but also get into Dartmouth, Brown, etc.

It might happen in certain situations, but I've never seen it happen, so I guess I'm biased towards the idea that even if you do get into Harvard, other schools will still accept you. Just because that's been my experience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page