N.S.L.C or summer program at columbia

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: N.S.L.C or summer program at columbia
By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Pretty self explainitory, what looks better on your application and why

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I went to NYLC and the ppl were not very impressive (academically speaking, that is). I would say that the summer program @ Columbia would be more impressive. My NYLC program lasted for 6 days. If I compared the two, I would say that the summer program carries more weight.

By Polloinc (Polloinc) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Matt, I was actually in the same dilemma. I decided that going to a summer program at a college would be more beneficial because it shows that you can actually handle college-level work. However, N.S.L.C. is by no means a poor program, it is nothing extraordinary. My advice would be to go to Columbia's program. Which Columbia program were you looking into anyway?

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

umm the world business and economics one
..thx for the replies btw i appreicate it

By Satman04 (Satman04) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

If you want college-level work, stick with the APs. You don't need to go to a fancy institution that costs several thousands of dollars just to have college-level work.

Colleges like to see passion for a particular interest you have, so if you can shape your summer around this passion, that's even better.

I'm going to Law and Advocacy at NSLC this year

By Natalia (Natalia) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I'd say go for Columbia summer program, for two reasons:
1. My best friend did it last summer and had an amazing time - loved her courses, the people, everything.
2. I think it looks more impressive, if that's what you're going for.

Satman04 - it's true that summer programs at colleges cost several thousands of dollars, but for a week, NSLC is also pretty damn expensive.

By Satman04 (Satman04) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I agree, it's however you prioritize

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

I wouldn't have to board at columbia.. i live near nyc.. so the cost difference would be under $1000 plus the columbia program runs longer... As for pasion I am passionate about business law.. im going to apply to sterns and columbia next year. I was just wondering which would look better on the application.. thx for the help

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page