Significance of an interview--does everybody get one?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Significance of an interview--does everybody get one?
By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

Hi! My Yale interview is scheduled for this Sunday. I'm curious to know if an interview is a good sign that you are being seriously considered for admittance. I would like the answer to be "yes" because the University is highly selective and receives more than 16,000 applications a year, so I figure that they can't possible interview every applicant. It would seem to me that the University only schedules interviews with those applicants that stand a decent chance of admittance.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Please.......I'd really like some feedback on this. Thanks!

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Did you go to the website and look this up? It took me about 10 seconds to find the quote below on their website. It sounds like they encourage everyone to interview and it isn't particularly a sign of special favor. You will want to do some research about Yale before you show up for the interview. If you come across as unknowldgeable about basic info ready available on their website, that cannot convey a good impression. Good luck!

"Interviews

Although an interview is not required, we strongly encourage Yale applicants to take advantage of the opportunity to meet and talk with a Yale alumnus/a or student. Through an interview, you can learn more about Yale and have a further chance to share additional information about yourself. (Interviews are only for rising seniors. Transfer applicants are not interviewed.)

Alumni Interviews

In many parts of the United States and around the world, Yale Alumni Schools Committees (ASCs) serve as liaisons between prospective Yale students and the Admissions Office. Each ASC receives the names of local applicants and schedules individual interviews over the course of the application season. Although the interview is not required, Yale alumni can be very helpful, and whenever possible, applicants are urged to take advantage of this opportunity for a personal exchange with a well-informed Yale graduate. Please note that students will not be offered alumni interviews until after they have submitted their admissions applications to Yale.

When scheduling your alumni interview, please be sensitive to the fact that all our alumni conduct these interviews on a volunteer basis. They typically interview numerous students in their local area, in addition to going to work or school, and raising families. Also, because of timing constraints, you may have to be flexible in terms of scheduling your interview. Please be patient and considerate.

While ASC interviews are available in most parts of the United States and in many foreign countries, there are places where we do not offer alumni interviews. If an alumni interview is not available in the place you live, do not worry. It will not hurt your chances for admission.

On-Campus Interviews

On-Campus interviews are no longer available. We will begin on-campus interviews again in the summer of 2003. Check back at this Web site for future schedules."

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Yes, I knew all that about the interview--I've done just about as much research on Yale as I could. I know that interviews are recommended--but do you think that the University goes to all the trouble of having their alumni contact 16,000 applicants when they know that many of them aren't qualified? Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely be reviewing my notes, catalogues, and goals about Yale.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

The interviewer already knows a lot about Yale and is not going to test you on your "Yale facts." Interviews are more about putting you at ease so that they can find out what kind of person you are. Try to find some common ground, have a great conversation, and... be nice.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice, but I've already had interviews.....I know what they are about. I guess I just want to believe that Yale only bothers to interview applicants it is seriously considering. Thanks for your help though.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Just from reading what it says on the website,I think they do offer alumni interviews to all gazillion applicants. MIT does that too, and I think maybe Duke & Bryn Mawr. (I'm basing that on some book I read by a former Duke admissions officer, and on a friend of mine who does alumni interviews for Bryn Mawr).

I don't think the alumni interview is so much to assess you as it is to give you a chance to learn more about the school, and to make the alumni feel connected and involved (and possibly more likely to contribute to the old alma mater).

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much based on being asked to interview. But on the other hand it isn't worth getting all stressed about either. Unless they tell the admission office that there was something truly off-the-scales horrible about you at the interview, I doubt if this will carry much weight pro or con. Good luck with Yale! Be sure and let the interviewer know you've done lot's of research. It sounds like it's your "dream school". It can't hurt to say so.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page