43 ranked #1?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: 43 ranked #1?
By Rondafaye (Rondafaye) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

How will a college react to this scenario?

Class size: 806
Ranking: 1
No. sharing ranking: 42

(All students in the top 5 percent have averages of 100+, and all are ranked #1. The school is in Texas.)

By Blahdefrickenda (Blahdefrickenda) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Go Texas' top 10% plan!!!

By Cbm (Cbm) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

It depends on the college. My son is in the same situation. 1st out of 1200, tied with 35 others. Some schools counted him as 1st and others just looked at the percentile.

By Blahdefrickenda (Blahdefrickenda) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

1200 in one class? wow, i came from a class of 8.

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

A similar case is at myt school. We have like 25 #1's in a class of 750. I think it makes the HS look good.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

sheesh, that many tied for number one, your school must be easy, and 100% averages, what do teachers do, hand out bonus marks or something, jeebus, 42, must be easy as hell if you ask me. I'm personally against bonus marks and scaling, all it does is present an inflated score, ppl should get what they deserve

By Inundata (Inundata) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I agree with mitwannabe. What kind of lame school is this anyway??!?
The grade inflation in the US nowadays is ridiculous anyway. I think that if you're tied with 42 others as being top of your class, then that dilutes it's value by 1/42. Find something to help you get in, that won't. Especially if every single kid of those 42 has a 100% average ... Absolutely ridiculous. I don't doubt that it's hard work to get there, but I'd argue that it's perhaps not as hard as getting a B+ in certain far more challenging private schools.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

"I think it makes the HS look good."

Actually, I think this is one of the dumbest comments I've heard lately. Obviously, colleges will know that they courses are insanely easy. If there were really that many geniuses at your school, your hs would be one of the most competitive in the country. Colleges are going to see that you have not been challenged throughout high school and will question whether or not you're ready for the intense pressure of college.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

private high schools are a lot harder than the rinky-dinky public schools, though if you get lucky, you might actually be challenged in public high school.

By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

What is the rank based on? WEIGHTED or UNWEIGHTED GPAs? If it's weighted, then, the valedictorians' GPAs would be insanely over 4.0?

By Rondafaye (Rondafaye) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

AP classes are worth 10 extra points. For example, if you have a 95 in AP Calc, you really have a 105. If you take a lot of AP classes, your average shoots up. But per the school district, 100 is the highest average they'll record. That's why so many of us are tied -- 100 is the limit.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

My school scales/weights marks differently than Rondafaye's school would, i myself don't know how it actually works; but if you get a 70 you would be given more points than a student with a 99, again, i don't know how it works. You can never get over a 100% and if you have a 97% you will never get to a 100% (more likely a 99%) because you DIDN'T get every single question right as the mark would suggest. I find it fair that students who didn't get 100s DON'T get 100s, no matter the course load; this makes it a lot easier to compare marks in a FAIR way... I know you should be recognized for taking AP or IB courses, but having 47 #1s is a bit too much for me.

How can you share number one with someone? Seriously, #1 means the best, how can you be the best when you share it with 47 different people? Maybe in the rare case where you have EXACTLY the same mark as someone else, but even twins can't do that.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

But then again, it could be normal to most of you out there; but it surely isn't normal to me. To me, 47 #1 students from the same school is unheard of. So it's just my point of view, so no offence to those who are sharing #1 with 40+ people

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

ok let me put it this way. The school is in TEXAS, the state where George Bush governed for like 8 years or something. You could cut the schools some slack, they were governed by bush.

By Rondafaye (Rondafaye) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

The way the school district does it is weird. They won't record an average of more than 100, even though if you take a lot of APs, your average is higher. For example, my average is like 104.5, and I have a friend who has almost 106 (she's really brilliant). She may REALLY be #1, but in our system we won't ever know because it all gets listed as a 100 average, and we're all ranked #1.

By Inundata (Inundata) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

The school that I am in does not curve or inflate grades in anyway. If you got 80% of the questions right, then you get an 80% on your tests or homework. They average all of those, you get your grade for that course. You average all of those courses, you get your overall grade. You look it up on a GPA conversion chart, you're done.

No weighting, no curving, no rounding upwards, no adding 10 points for an AP course (ridiculous!), no other shennanigans. Just your average, and that's that. In that kind of system, getting a 3.3 GPA is an achievement, a 4.0 incredible, and I don't think anybody has ever graduated with a 4.3 GPA.

Why should a course get extra weight? If you fail in music, it means that you were slacking off, and you should get penalized for that. If you get a 90 in an AP course, then whoop-dee-frickin-doo, you don't deserve 100, you deserve 90. Especially since the chances are that the only reason you got a 90 is because you're in a school with over-lenient teachers anyway.

The american grading system is a shambles, and everybody knows it. If you get 1350 on your SATs, and yet have a 100% Average, how much credibility do you think that lends to the rest of your application? If you've got a 100% avg, you'd damn well be getting 1570+ on your SATs, otherwise you ain't that smart and they can tell.

Just my $0.02.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

"They won't record an average of more than 100, even though if you take a lot of APs, your average is higher."

It is not possible to actually earn over 100% in all your AP classes. Maybe there is one genius, but not 47. It only shows that the course is easy, not that the students are smart. I dont even understand how its possible to get over 100% right. Extra credit isnt something that's done in my hs- i think that was stopped along with recess and nap time. There is no way that 47 people never make a mistake or get a single question wrong in courses that are really college level. All of those "valedictorians" are going to have quite a shock when they enter college.

By Rondafaye (Rondafaye) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Just to be clear: Your transcript doesn't reflect any extra points -- if you get 95, even in an AP class, your transcript says you got a 95. The extra 10 points for AP classes is only for calculating rank. We don't have weighted GPAs (i.e, 4.0 unweighted, 4.5 weighted), only weighted averages for ranking purposes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page