My High School starts at grade 10, is this not good?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: My High School starts at grade 10, is this not good?
By thanks on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Where i live High School starts at grade 10 not at grade 9. Will this hurt me? Do the Ivies still ask for grade 9 EC's and grades considering this fact? What about Berkeley and Stanford?

By BaltoDad on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:01 am: Edit

Won't make a bit of difference, anywhere. They'll ask for your high school transcript and won't care whether it's 3 years or 4.

By muppet on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

BaltoDad is right. No diff at all.

By asdf on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

yeah, it's not any better or any worse for you

By thanks on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Thanks, i was worried that they would ask for grade 9 achievements too. I have none for grade 9 (because people said that Junior High didn't matter)! So i was just a bit worried.

By what? on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Personally, I would wonder why you did nothing in grade 9 just because it didn't count. Aren't you interested in learning or helping your school? If I were an admissions officer I would wonder.

By Matt37 (Matt37) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

yea in my town hs starts in 9th grade.... most everyone knew it was hs tho and everyone does stuff in school... also im pretty sure like my schools ur district will include ur 9th grade grades on ur trascript, and will have a space for ec's

unless ur hs is really wierd.... yea and colleges will still want to kno... just b/c ur in a diff building they will still demand the same of u as of other candidates..

By Randy80016 (Randy80016) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

I know Stanford doesn't even have a place for 9th grade accomplishments/grades on their App. If you are interested in them, that might help.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Since I had the same situation as you thanks what I would do is call each admissions office before you apply. In my case, all 15 schools asked me to provide information from 9th grade if possible. It might be rough, and you may have to bend over backwards to get it, but it will be worth it.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

for the Berkeley (UC) app... if your HS is 3 years, they DO ask for your 9th grade info from the previous school you attended. It's all self-reported though, so you wont have to worry about sending in your transcropt unless you get accepted and register.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Most of my college applications requested information after 9th grade, like they didn't care what awards you got in 9th grade......but ECs still count. However, your high school doesn't start until tenth so they can't hold that against you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page