Notifying colleges about Finalist Status

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Notifying colleges about Finalist Status
By Vizious (Vizious) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Should I notify all the colleges I applied to about my natnl merit finalist status? Because my first choice i put down for natnl merit isnt my first choice overall, its just that the school I put down offers the most scholarship for a natnl merit finalist. Would it hurt to send all the colleges my finalist status letter?

By bump on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

bizzzump

By Vizious (Vizious) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

To the top

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I passed on this the first couple of times so now let me ask you a question in return: Wouldn't it be better to keep your finalist status a deep dark secret and ignore the fact that if it didn't help your scholarship potential with a school the continued correspondence would make it look like you were certainly still interested in them?

By Vizious (Vizious) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

So do you mean that I should send my status to all the colleges I'm applying to. Because I'm not really sure of my #1 school...some of the schools I applied to are ranked high and some arent...I just put down officially on the paper(you can only pick one school for scholarship) a school that offers good scholarships for national merit finalists....but I am not sure if that is my number one choice (but it might be I really do not know). I mean if I got into every single college I applied to, I have no definite place where I would want to go to. I haven't really fallen in love with any one campus specifically. I've been on 5 campus visits, took notes, and upon comparing, realized that my notes didnt help me differentiate which I liked better. So my question is do I tell all the other colleges I applied to that I'm a finalist?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Let all the colleges you applied to that you are a Finalist, yes.

It can't hurt. It may help.

And as confused as you are now, it may be helpful to
have as many options as possible come time to make a decision.

If you don't know the answer as to which college(s) you should be zeroing in on, I suspect it's because you haven't yet asked yourself the right questions.
Though to be fair, some questions are answered with "I don't know."

What questions those might be in your individual case, I wouldn't have the foggiest...they differ from person to person.

By Vizious (Vizious) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page