Who gets in?????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Who gets in?????
By Pissedoff on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

i was reading one of the discussions (i forgot which one) about some asian kids who had really great scores and stats but got rejected.. which doesnt make sense but whatever.. so im asking who the hell do they pick?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

Most of the colleges are looking for a blend for a whole class. Scores & GPA's, sure. But they also want different backgrounds for schools (public/private), ethnicity, economic background, extracurricular activities, etc.

It makes absolute sense if you look at college as an educational process that's enhanced by having different perspectives, points of view, experiences to bring to discussions and analyses, both formal and informal.

I can tell you that if I were an AO, I'd be looking for different EC's besides student government, mock U.N., editor of the paper, community service, etc., simply because there are already so many of them. I'd want bassoonists, chess players, inventors, game designers, etc. etc. etc.

From what one consistently reads, 70-75 percent of the applicants to the elite colleges can do the work. So how do you make a selection? Sure, some grade-and-test-score grinds get in but an entire campus of them would be a duller, less stimulating place.

But the choices appear (at least from the outside) to often be near-random and idiosyncratic...which is why absolute assurances of "you're in" are just plain silly and "no chance" is way overstated.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page