Overcoming Hardship? etc?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Overcoming Hardship? etc?
By Finalnight (Finalnight) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I had some events in my life take place that may be a "overcoming hardship" essay thing, lemme explain.

Last year, one month after 9/11, I was hanging with the wrong crowd....
To make a long story short:
White German kid sends bomb threat, blames muslim pakistani kid, this happens exactly one month after 9/11, school expells and arrests pakistani kid, County Attorney decides to view kid as almost OBL himself, pakistani kid hires good attorney, gets charges knocked down from terroristic threats to disorderly conduct, agrees to plea bargain before AG Ashcrofts new "terrorism" rules could take effect (I didnt want to be sent to a secret facility far from any parent or lawyer), record sealed, currently getting straight a's/a-'s this semester.

Do you think I should use this as my overcoming hardship hook or not? One other possible hardship hook is when one of my parents was hospitalized in a mental hospital for a month and this caused me to miss a large part of 6th grade and set me behind for a few years.

By yea on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

do it

By yea on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

do it

By babadu on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

without a doubt, this should be ur essay topic

By your local mayor on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

most definately use it

By qwe on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

this is a very hard topic to handle, but if done correctly, will boost your chances GREATLY.

DO NOT be whiny about it,

appeal to the human side of the admission officers,

reading some war books from vonnegut might give you some ideas as to which angle to approach this.

By Finalnight (Finalnight) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Thanks guys, I had a feeling "academics" such as admission officers would not be supportive of such government tactics like your average joe sixpack and would understand my plight. I will be writing my paper in a few months after I take ACT and retake SAT, I promise to keep you apprised and keep bouncing ideas off of you guys, again, thanks.

By your local mayor on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

the majority of American academia is liberal, so I don't see why you'd run into many problems...and the only person who'd possibly shoot down your essay is a racist, and trust me, you won't find too many of them in college--colleges love diversity. So go ahead and write your paper and appeal to the sense of humanity. Have a good one.

By Finalnight (Finalnight) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

BUMP, its admission time, any new thoughts?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page