AP statistics vs literary magazine

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: AP statistics vs literary magazine
By Jo shmo on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:42 am: Edit

next year I have to decide what classes Im taking. Im taking multivariable and differential calculus but still have a free period. should I take a literary magazine course or go with AP Stat. Ive heard that colleges know that AP Stat is a joke, but would taking a literary magazine course look as though Im slacking? What do you guys think? What do you know about AP stats and how college admissions look at it? Thanks for any input.

By g on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:50 am: Edit

From what my friends tell me, AP stat is very difficult.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

no it's not. It is really easy, much easier than calc. My class was extremely easy, prolly not as easy as some other schools', but my classmate who was the only one to take the AP exam got a 5 on it...

By Andrew on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

AP Stat is really really hard at my school. I go to an elite private school and all the kids are really bright for the most part but only one person has an A in the Stat class. Whereas like all of the people in the Calc AB /BC classes have A's. And they are taught by a bunch of different teachers each. A lot of the kids in stat get 5's so I guess it's just really challenging. It depends on the school. Ask around at your school.

By sondogg on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

take what will make you happy, not what will "please" the colleges, if anything they want an independent thinker who does stuff cause they wnat to, not cause other people think its good for admissions

By drewshave on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

sondogg, when a college admission board looks at an application, they don't see how many people took AP Stats at the applicant's school, or how hard it was, only the grade. They can't, through any means, determine that you were being an 'independant thinker.'
Take the courses you want to in college, but for now, I'd take the ones to get into the college of your choice, and for that, I think Literary magazine might look better, shows diversity. However, if your going into a math major, Stats might be better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page