Confused on this one..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Confused on this one..
By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

..because I've been getting conflicting messages on this. Though it doesn't really affect me anymore, I'm curious.

Does it hurt you or help you if your school sucks? Seriously, my school is so poor and the kids do so badly on the standardized tests it's one step away from having the state come in and take over. So when you're applying to colleges and the school looks at the school you go to, does it hurt or help you if you have a 3.8 UW GPA and a mediocre courseload at a junky school? And a "mediocre" courseload is the best you can do for that school, given there are no AP's, and then some (CC classes, etc.)

By Dori on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

both...it's good because colleges see you did the best you could under your circumstances, but bad because u won't be as prepared for college as the others applying to similar schools.

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

I see your point on the bad side. If you're referring to workload, I've gotten a taste of it with these past two semesters. Otherwise, I think my teachers prepared me as best as they could, so far (and it will only go downhill, non?), it's been grossly inadequate.

By ... on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Colleges always say that they expect you to take the most challenging course load you can, at your school. Some of the colleges I've applied to will say that they do not directly compare you to students at other high schools. As far as I know, colleges wont reject you because your school sucks. (and i really hope what i've heard is true because my hs is pretty bad)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page