Under-represented states

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Under-represented states
By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

how much of a role does geographic diversity play in admissions if the rest of your stats are competitive? I'm from Nevada, and of all the schools I applied to for transfer, I think only 1 had more than 2 students from my state...

By Lucky (Lucky) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

It certainly can't hurt you any; I successfully transferred to Dartmouth this past fall, and I would imagine that being a "geo" helped me. I was born in Craig, Yukon Territories, Canada (which is now part of the United States incidentally) and lived in a poor area of Seattle Proper for most of my life. Because a majority of the "feeder" prep schools are located in the northeast, the fact that I had decent stats without those opportunities helped me out.

LSS, I think it could tip the scales in your favor a bit but I wouldn't count on being a geo to get you in (nor keep you out) of XYZ School.

Best wishes,
Lucky

By j on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

On the Stanford statistics page, it says that only 49 states are represented. Would anyone happen to know which one is the unrepresented state?

By i on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Ok, if you live in Nevada and you're applying to east state schools you have a HUGE chance. Trust me, it's a big deal. Colleges are big on diversity, including geographical, so they want as many states represented as they can possibly can.

By adf on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

The most underrepresented state is probably Wyoming.

By hogguy on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I live in Arkansas. Is this an underrepresented state? If so where?

By po on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Arkansas is under-represented just about everywhere in the Northeast. Congratulations.

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

I knew there was at least one good thing about living out here in the desert :-)
thanx everyone

By Imabovegod (Imabovegod) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

i live in nevada too...seems like i'm the only one from my school applying to out of state lol..

By hey on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Since when did the Yukon become part of the states Lucky? Are you sure you have your facts straight?

By ytae on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Is California under-represented state? If not, then where is it considered as non-repesented?

By Texan on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

California and Texas are over-represented in most all schools.

By Liam on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

If you attended a college in an under-represented state (i.e. Idaho), and were transfering to a school on the east coast, would you still be representing the state if you were not a resident of the state?

By Katwkittens (Katwkittens) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

Hi! Mom here of 3 nevada high schoolers...as of last year Vanderbuilt had zero applicants from here, this year their updated web site for incoming freshmen had nevada at 6, first time in like eleven years...so yes, geographic diversity does come into play
daughter's coach went to Yale and graduated 3 years ago, he went to Durango and said he was one of two NV residents for all four years he was there...and his recruiter told him that was one of the reasons he was admitted...it helped

As for some summer programs, NASA Sharp Plus all applicants from NV have been from Meadows....what does that say?

By honorstudent on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

What about Kansas?

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

katwkittens, do your children go to the meadows school?

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

what about kansas

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page