Class rank??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Class rank??
By MattWONG on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I go to a relatively known prep school and am looking at UPenn, Cornell, and Dartmouth. My AI rank on this site is a six...

Now TO RANK...

Since I go to a prep school, my rank is only 17/450..Will colleges take that fact into consideration, or will they just punch in the numbers?

Responses are appreciated.

By MEH on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

um excuse me 17/450 i'd say is pretty damn good

By mattWONG on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

i kno, but it ends up bringing me down to six! Hopefully colleges recognize that it's tough to be in the top 10 at a rigorous prep school..Please..someone tell me if they do..or not

By qer on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

maybe prestigious in your village...

By cmNS on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

How many prep schools have a class of 450 students?

By ExPreppie on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I was thinking the same thing. That's one humongous prep school! Most prep school classes are under 150. (Mine was 95.)

By Bigparoxysm (Bigparoxysm) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

That's not going to make a difference. It's the top 4%.

What the •••• are you complaining about?

By Quaggs (Quaggs) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Give up. Your life is over. Learn how to serve french fries McDonald's style.

By supernova on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

my school doesn't even do a class rank...

By your local mayor on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

mine was 8.

By jl on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

How does your HS rank? Just senior year? Or do they consider all the other grades as well?

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:04 pm: Edit

how's a rank of 10/87 in one of the best private schools in india(as far as academics is concerned). im an international student.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

figure it out yourself- you're somewhere between top 10th and 15th percentile... That's not really a success. Besides, no application has the question "How hard is your school, really?" Especially when it comes to schools outside the U.S. Why should anyone, or they (amission officers) take into considerations that it's supposedly one of the best (hence hardest, I persume) private schools in India? Says who? Surely, they've never heard of it... Even if they believe your statements, again it might not go onto your behalf- wouldn't it be more interesting for an admission officer to read how you've managed to position as 1st or 2nd in such a tough school, instead of making excuses..
Basically, as far as they're concerned 10/87 means you're not such a strong applicant, especially if you have an SAT that is around or less than 1300...

However, if your SAT is 1400+, with a matching GPA, reasonably good essay, and decent ec's, nobody will even bother to look at the stupid rankings.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page