Question about class rank

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Question about class rank
By depp on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

my school doesnt rank...
so how exactly does this look? is this good or bad?
any REAL responses will be much appreciated

By depp on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Alira on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

My guess is that if your class doesn't rank, they'll look at your GPA and the calibre of your school. I don't think it'll matter, there will just be other factors to look at.

By aw on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:10 am: Edit

Most tony private schools that don't rank, DO ACTUALLY RANK. That's what those CONFIDENTIAL teacher/counselor evaluations are all about. They just don't make the info public, because no parent is going to fork out $20,000 a year to have their kid be middle of the pack with no chance at a top school.

By depp on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

i asked my counselor and he said the school doesnt rank

By aw on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Well, there are two possibilities then.

1. He is telling you that and isn't exactly lying because there is no "official" class rank. However, he is able to tell colleges whether you are top 1-2 in class, top 4-5, top 25%, and so forth, according to the unofficial list your school keeps.

2. There is no rank whatsoever, and colleges are going to have a difficult time assessing you.

By rank on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I have a Q about rank too...

Including non-academic subjects, I am ranked about 5th...

However, tabulating my average with ONLY academic subjects, I am 1st...

I know that colleges only look at academic subjects when they calculated GPA... will they do the same for rank?

In addition, I transferred from a school with a much harder grading system than my current school... this is another reason why my cumulative rank is not higher than 5... do you know if colleges will take something like that into consideration...

I realize that 5th is usually not a bad ranking.... however, my new school does not have the reputation of being a great school... (ironically, my grade is the most competitive grade in a while.. the senior valedictorian would be ranked about 10th in my junior class and the boy ranked second of the seniors prob wouldn't even be in the top15 in my class)

Thanks for any help/knowledge

Peace out :)

By aw on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

It depends on where you are applying. As a rule, the larger the school, the more formulaic the admissions procedures, i.e. number-crunching carries the day. At highly selective schools (where they have lots of admissions staff) and small liberal arts schools, they can give you a close going-over.

Peace to you, too.

By hopeful on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Peace to all of us...I hope.

By Smiles on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

My school refuses to publish ranks... Although they try to deny that they rank, it is pretty obvious that they must rank since they induct top 20% into cum laude. Go figure...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page