Early Decision

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Early Decision
By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:48 am: Edit

Hey, I heard a number of schools are or at least thinking about dropping their ED and bring Early Action on. If i'm not mistaken I saw Yale was the most recent to switch. You think any more schools will drop down to EA by the time this years Juniors start applying? To start I'll probably be applying to UPENN, Carnegie Mellon, and Johns Hopkins though I think I don't have a shot at ED. See for yourself: (3.97 gpa, No test scores..yet, Cross country captain, started a few clubs in school (involved in about 4 clubs total), Participated in some "unique" volunteering such as the LPGA Tournament, skillful at a few musical instruments, and am an entrepreneur with my dad.)
Let me know your opinions. Thanks a lot!

By iluvyale on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:21 am: Edit

I got into Yale ED.
But you must be careful with ED.
You must withdraw all other apps if you get in, which I had to do.
Harvard's early action gives you more flexibility. You get informed of admissions early and you can still wait for other schools.
I withdrew from Carnegie Mellon. Why are you asking about Early Decisions now?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

Other than Yale, Stanford has also announced that it will do away with ED but keep EA starting for those who apply next fall for the 2004 admission year. This may perhaps be the start of a trend.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

I think it's only a trend for schools that _know_
they're going to be flooded with the very best
applicants and are willing to compete. HYS all
fit that bill; I doubt that even Columbia will switch from ED to EA...they'd rather nail down someone who might go to Harvard/Yale if they got into both and had a free choice.

To argue against me, you can note that Georgetown uses EA and does just fine.

By Fred on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:42 pm: Edit

What do you mean "even Columbia," you piece of ••••?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

I mean that as highly ranked and regarded as Columbia is, I doubt they will drop ED in favor of EA.

You have a problem with that?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page