Grades in 9th and 10th

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Grades in 9th and 10th
By Jo Shmo on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

As a junior I have an excellent course load (full IB student) and a GPA of 3.85. As a freshman and sophmore I had a lower GPA.

My Questions are:
1. Do colleges look lightly on your freshman and sophmore year grades if you show signs of improvement?

2. What have you guys heard about colleges' views on the International Baccaleaureate program?

By IB on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

1. Freshman year is irrelevant as most colleges (like the UC's) don't factor freshman year into the GPA. Sophomore year matters though, but if you did show improvement from sophomore year to junior year, for example, they would look very positively on that, but that wouldn't mean they wouldn't take poor grades in 9 or 10 lightly.

2. I am an IB senior and I think in recent years more colleges have been looking more positively on the IB program, but I don't think it's so well "trusted" that they're willing to give you a ton of college credit as if you took AP classes and tests. UC's give you 30 units of credit for 30 points on the IB diploma. That means you have to get an average of 5 on each of those 6 tests. You sure have your work cut out for you.

By wolfsterx on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

1. So far, I heard that only the UCs and U-mich don't pay attention to your freshman grades. I wouldn't count on all colleges disregarding freshman year.

By Jo shmo on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

thanks for info

By mac on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

Most all colleges take all 4 years into account for your GPA. Furthermore, even if they do not count your freshman year, your school uses it to calculate class rank and that can't be recalculated by the colleges. For many collegeges class rank is as important as GPA.

By Desprateslacker (Desprateslacker) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

what if u had a low GPA freshman year, showed imporvement in your soph and junior years AND your school doesnt rank students

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I don't know what people are thinking, but freshman year DOES COUNT. My friend got rejected from Yale, although she had amazing ECs, great essay, really good grades, etc. BUT...in her fresman year her grades and ECs were extremely different from the rest of her high school carrear. As a rule of thumb; try your best each year so you can always make inmprovement, but keep up your gpa.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

Freshman year is transitional, students are young, many classes are mandated, so it doesn't carry as much weight. Sophomore year, however, generally, begins to separate the cream from the crowd. It gives an early sign as to the direction, motivation, and ability of students in and out of class. Hope this helps.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

IB 6's and 7's generally get the same credit as AP 4's and 5's, but check with the individual colleges to determine whether it is actual credit or the opportunity to take a higher level class and waive the initial class,or perequisite.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page