Is it a good sign if a coach calls?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Is it a good sign if a coach calls?
By fede on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I'm applying to a bunch of LACs in the East and Midwest. I've indicated I want to play tennis in college and have been called by coaches at most of the places I applied. Is this a good sign? Some coaches have called me more than once. I'm thinking that they wouldn't call at all if the admissions office told them I didn't have a prayer of getting accepted. Also - at a couple of schools coaches have called me for softball - which I don't really want to play. If I tell them I'm not interested, will it hurt me? And I'm wondering if I should tell them I DO want to play - because maybe they need someone on the team and this could be my "hook." BTW, I'm not a fantastic athlete or anything... At a couple of schools I haven't heard from the tennis coach - and I'm pretty sure I'm just not good enough to make the team at those places.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

It's a Not Good situation if you lead a coach on. Let the softball coaches politely know that you're not interested in pursuing that sport at the collegiate level.

The tennis coaches may put their two cents into the admissions office if you indicate interest and this could "tip" the admission in your favor in a close call.

In general, be honorable in your dealings and don't do anything that would mortify you to have published on the front page of the New York Times.

By fede on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I didn't say I wouldn't play!! At one of the schools, if softball was the price of admission, I'd play - maybe not all four years, but a couple seasons anyway. I don't remember ever expressing an interest in softball - so it's kind of wierd that they're even calling me.

By Dori on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

maybe some amazing softball player is applying to the same schools as you, and happens to have the same name.

or not....hehe

By fede on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Truthfully, I think interest in softball - and baseball - has dropped off so much that maybe colleges are having trouble putting together a team. Maybe it's sort of like being an oboe or a french horn player - every orchestra needs one, so even if you're not that great, it gives you a little edge in admissions.

By your local mayor on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:24 am: Edit

uhuh, ok, that's your opinion...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page